HP EX470/475 - reinstalling OS? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm thinking about picking up the HP EX470/475 as it sounds like a pretty good product for my needs, however, I have one question that I haven't been able to find an answer to. It seems like the primary partition with the WHS OS is the weakest link of this setup, meaning that the OS itself is not RAIDed or duplicated on the secondary drive(s), so if the primary hard drive/partition fails, the EX is dead in the water. What is the process of recovering from such a failure? The EX doesn't have an optical drive nor the video-out port, so you can't just re-install the OS from a recovery CD/DVD, and even if you could attach an external USB optical drive, you can't see what you're doing since there is no video-out, and you can't RDP into it since the there is no OS. HP documentation/website doesn't have any info on this subject, and I can't believe they hadn't thought about it or provided a way to recover; I just can't find anything on how it's done.
    Monday, March 24, 2008 3:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• The HP box can be reinstalled using another computer on your network. Its very simple and shouldnt cause any problems.

Andrew

EDIT: If you want to read the exact steps, this is a link to the User Guide on the HP website: http://search.hp.com/redirect.html?type=REG&qt=windows+home+server&url=http%3A//h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01276565/c01276565.pdf%3Fjumpid%3Dreg_R1002_USEN&pos=2

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:14 PM
  • Thank you for the link; that's exactly what I was looking for. I guess they have some sort of utility at the BIOS level of the EX that allows remote connections from other PCs. Also, if Im reading the document right, it sounds like I can purchase the EX470 (with 500Gb hard drive), and swap it out with a 1Tb hard drive from the begining and just re-installing the WHS OS onto the new hard drive. This way I can get the full 4Tb worth of storage (less the space required for the OS) out of this  setup.

Alternatevly, would it make sence to use the smallest hard drive I can find (probably 100Gb) for the primary drive, exclude that drive from pooling all together so that it's only used for running the OS (and nothing but OS), and then use the remaining 3 bays for for the secondary pooled drives? This way, if the primary drive fails, only OS is affected. Or am I just being paranoid. Smile
    Monday, March 24, 2008 4:51 PM
  • You are most welcome.

Always use the largest drive you can as your primary.

You might want to take a look at some of the technical briefs as well to give you more information :

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/F/C/2FC09C20-587F-4F16-AA33-C6C4C75FB3DD/Windows_Home_Server_Drive_Extender.pdf

Andrew

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Thanks, I've seen that document before, and that's what led me to considering the WHS (and EX in particular) as opposed to building my own custom RAID server. I guess I'm just having hard time going against of what I've been doing for years - keeping the logiacal and physical [if possible] separation of C: (OS) and D: (data) to keep backing up/imaging/restoring as simple as possible.
    Monday, March 24, 2008 5:09 PM
  • Regarding the separation of info; if you have the facility, three hard drives are the optimum and then adding further hard drives possibly in pairs. With the three hard drives, WHS will try to keep all data off the system disk, (C:/DSmile unless it runs out of space.

That way, any duplicated folders are across two drives, as are the backups.

Colin

Monday, March 24, 2008 6:04 PM