Connection Speed from Vista clients slow to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• All right

My two Windows XP clients have no problems with transfer speeds to and from my WHS. However, my 3 vista clients all experience horrendous transfer speeds. I am talking about anywhere from bytes per second to KB per second. My XP machines are well above 20mb/sec in transfer speeds. Is there a configuration issue with Vista I need to know about here?

My server is running an AMD Dou core processor 2GB Ram and 2 X 640 Sata Western Digital drives. All client computers attached are of decent quality including the Vista client.

Ideas?
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:31 AM

Answers

• good questions

All have the Avast Pro edition installed. They all have Comodo Firewall installed. All are up to date with their windows updates. When I mean all I mean the XP and Vista clients.

Two of the vista clients are the exact same model and make of laptops ( they are identical in every respect). The other is a desktop computer. So the nic drivers might be different.

Thing is I noticed this is only a problem when there are many smaller files in my transfer. This problem does not occur for the vista clients on large single files. As said this isn't an issue with my XP clients at all.

You might try two things to narrow this down.

1. Use robocopy to copy several sets of smaller files from the Vista clients and see if the speeds are the same using cmd line. Robocopy is inbox in Vista.
    2. Install process monitor on the Vista clients and see what process might be causing the lag. When using process monitor, you might copy the larger files and the smaller files in different batches and see what processes consume more resources with the smaller files.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:11 AM

All replies

• All right

My two Windows XP clients have no problems with transfer speeds to and from my WHS. However, my 3 vista clients all experience horrendous transfer speeds. I am talking about anywhere from bytes per second to KB per second. My XP machines are well above 20mb/sec in transfer speeds. Is there a configuration issue with Vista I need to know about here?

My server is running an AMD Dou core processor 2GB Ram and 2 X 640 Sata Western Digital drives. All client computers attached are of decent quality including the Vista client.

Ideas?

Do all the Vista Clients have the same NIC/NIC drivers? Do they all have the same AV installed? Do they all have the latest service packs and updates installed?

Thanks
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:38 AM
  • good questions

All have the Avast Pro edition installed. They all have Comodo Firewall installed. All are up to date with their windows updates. When I mean all I mean the XP and Vista clients.

Two of the vista clients are the exact same model and make of laptops ( they are identical in every respect). The other is a desktop computer. So the nic drivers might be different.

Thing is I noticed this is only a problem when there are many smaller files in my transfer. This problem does not occur for the vista clients on large single files. As said this isn't an issue with my XP clients at all.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 12:59 AM
  • good questions

You might try two things to narrow this down.

1. Use robocopy to copy several sets of smaller files from the Vista clients and see if the speeds are the same using cmd line. Robocopy is inbox in Vista.
    2. Install process monitor on the Vista clients and see what process might be causing the lag. When using process monitor, you might copy the larger files and the smaller files in different batches and see what processes consume more resources with the smaller files.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:11 AM