Running a VB6 program compiled on Windows 10. Side by Side Error RRS feed

• Question

• On launching the application I receive a side by side error.

I created the SxSTrace.txt
    The bottom of which looks like...
    INFO: Reference: Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls,language="*",processorArchitecture="X86",publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df",type="win32",version="6.0.0.0"
    ERROR: Line 1: XML Syntax error.
    ERROR: Activation Context generation failed.
    End Activation Context Generation.

It suggests to me that there should be a manifest file for mscomctl.dll and that the format of the XML for that file is badly formatted,

I have tried searching the C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests folder for the public token with the X86 prefix but I'm not sure what the language="*
    translates to.

I Have opened the en-gb and en_us versions and line 1 of both start
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
    Not sure if that is legitimate or not or if it is another file that I should look at..

The program will run in debug mode on the PC that I am trying to run it on...

• Has anyone any suggestions as to how this may be fixed.
    • I have tried the download of the common controls and and registration as per some suggestions, but this made no difference.
    • I have tried it on a clean build PC...
    • I have tried installing the C++ redistributables..

I have bounced off the ceilings and the walls but that doesn't help either :)

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:49 PM

All replies

• Does it contain some other useful INFO lines before the ERROR lines?

• Edited by Viorel_MVP Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:59 AM
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:59 AM
  • Hi englishbaldeagle,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Based on the information of SxSTrace.txt you provided, it seems a XML syntax error regarding the XML configuration file for “INFO: Reference: Microsoft.Windows.Common-” in line1.

>> but I'm not sure what the language="&#x2a; translates to.

As far as I know, “&#x2a;” represents symbol “*”.

So, please open the XML configuration file and check the content, is there missing symbol *?

I reference this blog, and here is a thread having side by side error that you could reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/82e9381f-a40e-4fdb-8a7c-e353f2ecca39/activation-context-generation-failed-xml-syntax-error?forum=whatforum

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Judy ZhuY Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:11 AM
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:59 AM
  • Hi englishbaldeagle,

How about your issue?

If the issue persists, I suggest you post a new thread to the following forum for a professional answer. http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?1-Visual-Basic-6-and-Earlier

Because our forum is discussing Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor. And your issue is more related to VB6 development.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 6:26 AM