Cleanup Problem? RRS feed

• Question

• Before migrating to a new drive (see here) I am attempting to backup my backups, but I have hit a snag ...

I only have a spare 200GB disk available, and the backups are 250GB. I've deleted a lot of the bckups (just keeping one per month) and have run Cleanup. Cleanup went through as far as I can see, but the database size has remained the same.

Just noticed: although the Cleanup progress bar has gone, the button below says Cancel Cleanup.

What should I do now?
    Friday, December 5, 2008 3:08 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server uses a technique that's similar to Single Instance Storage (but handled at the cluster, rather than the file, level) to minimize data redundancy in the backup database. This allows WHS to store only one copy of a specific 4096 byte (or other, if a disk in a client PC was formatted with a non-standard cluster size) cluster in the database, and reference it from any backup set (for any computer) that contains that cluster. If you have the same applications and operating systems on all your home PCs, all those files are usually identical across multiple PCs, so you realize a dramatic savings. In addition, if a cluster hasn't changed since the last backup, no new data needs to be sent and stored, realizing more savings for files that are unique to a PC but that rarely or never change.

The downside is that reducing the size of the backup database significantly is very difficult. You can try getting rid of all old backups, keeping only the most recent for each machine. That may save you a few percent. You can try removing some PCs; if you remove all the PCs that have a particular program installed, you will be able to eliminate that program from your backups, and will save a bit more space. Eliminating all PCs running a particular OS will save more space, etc.

But the best answer is to purchase a larger hard drive. Storage is very cheap these days (around $.12/GB).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 5, 2008 4:33 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server uses a technique that's similar to Single Instance Storage (but handled at the cluster, rather than the file, level) to minimize data redundancy in the backup database. This allows WHS to store only one copy of a specific 4096 byte (or other, if a disk in a client PC was formatted with a non-standard cluster size) cluster in the database, and reference it from any backup set (for any computer) that contains that cluster. If you have the same applications and operating systems on all your home PCs, all those files are usually identical across multiple PCs, so you realize a dramatic savings. In addition, if a cluster hasn't changed since the last backup, no new data needs to be sent and stored, realizing more savings for files that are unique to a PC but that rarely or never change.

The downside is that reducing the size of the backup database significantly is very difficult. You can try getting rid of all old backups, keeping only the most recent for each machine. That may save you a few percent. You can try removing some PCs; if you remove all the PCs that have a particular program installed, you will be able to eliminate that program from your backups, and will save a bit more space. Eliminating all PCs running a particular OS will save more space, etc.

But the best answer is to purchase a larger hard drive. Storage is very cheap these days (around $.12/GB).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 5, 2008 4:33 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

I just did (1TB), but I didn't know I was going to need another :(
    Friday, December 5, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Many thanks for all your help.  I've decided to give up, and hang onto the old drive in case I need it.

Next quest: Turning a WHS off at set time?
    Friday, December 5, 2008 6:02 PM