Backups on external drive consume a huge amount of disk RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS that contains all of our documents, pictures, music and videos.  Its central to the network so everyone can access it throughout the house.   Recently I upgraded two of the external data drives to 2TB each because we're getting so many of our movies and music on there the space was running out.   Of course stupid me---accidentally deleted most of the videos in dumb maneuver from one of my desktops.   After putting all the videos back on there I invested in a 2TB external eSATA drive.   I added it to the WHS as a backup drive and voila!  I was able to backup my data.  Problem is that I nearly have 2TB of data and there doesnt appear to be any ability to compress since it seems like a one to one copy as a backup.  

Is there anyway to backup the shares from my WHS to my external drive with *ANY* kind of compression.  Ultimately I'd like to have more than one single backup on the drive---and backup on a regular basis since there are changes occuring on the server.  It grabs new files, and doesnt eliminate files no longer there so it's kinda like an incremental backup...but then I run out of disk space quickly....and I'd like to get to my 4TB available space on the server without worrying I won't have enough backup space....

Ideas?
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:35 PM

All replies

• There is nothing built into the product to allow you to compress server backups on the external backup drive. In order to do so, you will have to "roll your own" server backup strategy.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Any ideas or solutions others have used?
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:12 PM
  • Using the functionality built into Windows Home Server, you can (manually) back each large share up to it's own drive.

Failing that, I personally use a scheduled task and robocopy. It doesn't deal with compression, and it doesn't create the nice hard links so every backup looks like it's complete, but it does work. That's the level of "roll your own" that you're looking at.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:38 PM