CrmMembershipProvider Error using AD to authenticate RRS feed

• Question

• I have followed Shan's Step from http://www.shanmcarthur.net/crm/developers-corner/customer-portal-modifications-for-demo-vpc-without-internet-connectivity to convert my CRM 2011 Customer Portal download to authenticate agains ad but I'm getting the following Error when trying to login

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: An operations error occurred.

Source Error:

Line 41: 			</providers> -->
    Line 42:       <providers>
    Line 43:         <add name="CrmMembershipProvider" type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider" connectionStringName="ADConnectionString" attributeMapUsername="sAMAccountName"/>
    Line 44:       </providers>
    Line 45: 		</membership>

Source File: C:\Customer_Portal\web.config    Line: 43

It is pretty vague and I'm wondering if i'm missing something on the server or is this a problem with my connection string? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Friday, January 6, 2012 2:30 PM

Answers

• Once you wire up the ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider, you use standard ASP.NET practices to configure it.  This is the membership provider that ships with ASP.NET.  Everyone has a different network configuration and goals, so I recommend you search the internet for specific issues and resolutions to your particular problem.  Keep your searches focused on the Active Directory membership provider to get good search results.  In the other forum, the person was trying to authenticate across a firewall and into a completely separate forest.  I don't even know if that is possible without some form of trust relationship or federation.
    Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Monday, January 23, 2012 3:28 AM

All replies

• Looks like you may need to do more steps in configuring AD. Please check this forum thread out, http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/crmlabs/thread/bd2ba812-a03c-4d3b-af44-aa0ad01fe8c0

This may have solution for your problem.

thanks,

Rashmi

Monday, January 9, 2012 12:13 AM
  • Once you wire up the ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider, you use standard ASP.NET practices to configure it.  This is the membership provider that ships with ASP.NET.  Everyone has a different network configuration and goals, so I recommend you search the internet for specific issues and resolutions to your particular problem.  Keep your searches focused on the Active Directory membership provider to get good search results.  In the other forum, the person was trying to authenticate across a firewall and into a completely separate forest.  I don't even know if that is possible without some form of trust relationship or federation.
    Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Monday, January 23, 2012 3:28 AM
  • Sorry I should have replied back to this sooner. This problem or Error was connected to the ADConnectionString not being configured correctly This configuration error resolved once I properly configured the connection string. I no longer get this error. Thanks for your help on this.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 2:27 PM
  • @Shan -- Thanks for your help I do have this working and the problem was on my end my connections string was to detailed removed server and CN=Users and I was able to authenticate!! Thanks for the instruction!

Dave

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:03 PM