BSD when trying to open backups RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using WHS since beta days, and had no unsolvable problems until now ....

There was a recent (last 3 weeks or so?) update to WHS that also required an update to the local WHS Connector on each attached system. Since then I have been unable to open any backups - every time it fails with BSD. (I'll add error info).

I installed the new Windows Home Server Toolkit, and it reports that I am not running the correct version of the connect software to match my server. This suggests that the local update didn't take??

I've tried to find a way to manually install the connector update, but haven't found it yet. Any clues greatly appreciated  :-)
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:22 PM

Answers

• Yeah I found that - but every reference I find to the stop error is talking about BSD on launch. The 'hotfix' specifically addresses boot issues and advises

"hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem."

So for the moment, I'm leaving it alone ':-)

I'm trying the steps listed here at the moment
    http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BPC/ck20070928123.shtml#step8
    ... but again, it's referencing *boot* issues, so I'm not going to bother with the fix MBR option right now. Initial scan found no issues.

I've been planning to test opening the backups on XP for a week, but my wife is as attached to her XP laptop as I am to my Vista laptop. I'm going to have to break out an old machine to do that test.

I'll post a bug report :-)

• Marked as answer by Aware Tuesday, December 2, 2008 7:02 PM
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:51 PM

All replies

• The Toolkit message is incorrect and can be safely ignored (if the WHS tray icon does not display Red Connector version mismatch warning). WHS development team is aware of this issue.

Concerning the BSOD please provide more detailed info, Client Operating System, Full BSOD error.

For manually reinstalling connector software you can:

1. In IE address bar type http://yourservername:55000
    2. Run setup.exe from \\yourserver\shares\software\Home Server Connector Software
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Should have said - I already tried reinstalling connector software - sorry. But to be clear - I can easily reinstall the latest version of connector that is on the server, but I don't think that is the same as reinstalling the patch from a week or two ago. The connector software has the date 10/31/08  ... hmmm maybe that is the very latest version? Makes it about a month older than the update though.

More info:

Stop error = STOP: 0x0000C1F5 (0xC01A000A, 0x84C62000,0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Client is Windows Vista Business, SP1.

Dell Inspiron E1700,   1.8GHz Dual2Core, 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD, 50 Gb free, 256Mb nVidia graphics.

• Edited by Aware Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:04 PM
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:56 PM
  • Does this happen only when trying to install the connector, or do you get this at other times?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:03 PM
  • Hi Ken - it has nothing to do with installing the connector software. It happens when I try to open a backup.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:04 PM
  • Aware said:

Should have said - I already tried reinstalling connector software - sorry. But to be clear - I can easily reinstall the latest version of connector that is on the server, but I don't think that is the same as reinstalling the patch from a week or two ago. The connector software has the date 10/31/08  ... hmmm maybe that is the very latest version? Makes it about a month older than the update though.

More info:

Dell Inspiron E1700,   1.8GHz Dual2Core, 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD, 50 Gb free, 256Mb nVidia graphics.

Hmm. Well known Vista SP1 error, there's MS KB with Hotfix on this one. The KB may provide some clues on how to fix this, however please do this only if you're technically savvy.

Not sure however if the hotfix  or workarounds will work for you. Best file a bug on Windows Home Server Connect Feedback Site, and then wait (please be a little patient there) for their response.

Probably you will be able to open the backups on XP based client, or do a restore using the Client Restore CD.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:28 PM
  • brubber said:

Aware said:

Should have said - I already tried reinstalling connector software - sorry. But to be clear - I can easily reinstall the latest version of connector that is on the server, but I don't think that is the same as reinstalling the patch from a week or two ago. The connector software has the date 10/31/08  ... hmmm maybe that is the very latest version? Makes it about a month older than the update though.

More info:

Hmm. Well known Vista SP1 error, there's MS KB with Hotfix on this one. The KB may provide some clues on how to fix this, however please do this only if you're technically savvy.

Not sure however if the hotfix  or workarounds will work for you. Best file a bug on Windows Home Server Connect Feedback Site, and then wait (please be a little patient there) for their response.

Probably you will be able to open the backups on XP based client, or do a restore using the Client Restore CD.

This is the correct hotfix for this issue. It is the result Clfs.sys and is a client side issue. 

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:46 PM
  • Yeah I found that - but every reference I find to the stop error is talking about BSD on launch. The 'hotfix' specifically addresses boot issues and advises

"hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem."

So for the moment, I'm leaving it alone ':-)

I'm trying the steps listed here at the moment
    http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BPC/ck20070928123.shtml#step8
    ... but again, it's referencing *boot* issues, so I'm not going to bother with the fix MBR option right now. Initial scan found no issues.

I've been planning to test opening the backups on XP for a week, but my wife is as attached to her XP laptop as I am to my Vista laptop. I'm going to have to break out an old machine to do that test.

I'll post a bug report :-)

• Marked as answer by Aware Tuesday, December 2, 2008 7:02 PM
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:51 PM
  • Oh - you posted just as I did Lara. OK I'll try the hotfix ... :-)
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:53 PM
  • OK that worked. Yaaay.

Any chance the wording could be changed on the hotfix page? It led me to believe it was only to be used if the Stop error was occuring on boot.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 7:03 PM
  • Aware said:

OK that worked. Yaaay.

Any chance the wording could be changed on the hotfix page? It led me to believe it was only to be used if the Stop error was occuring on boot.

You're right, that also why I was holding back a bit when advising you on this hotfix. Glad Lara jumped in to confirm my suggestion.

The issue which is fixed by the hotfix probably causes problem when mounting a disk, which is also part of the process of opening a backup.

Anyway, glad you solved it.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 8:24 PM