none
Esata expansion on my HP EX470 - drive issues RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased two AMS DS2350 5 bay Esata towers and hooked one to my HP quad core with a PCIe card.  It worked great and I added 5TB to my computer of drive space.  I then added the second tower to my home server with 2  drives of 1T .  It plugged in great and recognized the drives and I added them to the memory space.  My next two back ups failed as it appears that when the home server tries to acces the two drives, it can see them but not write to them.   The tower is using a SIL4726 internal 5 SATA port multiplier.  Any idea why the home server suddenly decides to not use these two drives?

When I go to the home server system and manage hard drives, the drives show up in the bottom half  of the drive manager but not in the top half?  If you try to look at properties it says it cannot do this due to an error.  After a while I get the red eye of death on the home server and have to shut everything down and disconnect the SATA tower and turn on the home server.  Everything works again.  It seems strange that a ESATA port on the home server will not use these drives.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 5:11 PM

All replies

• You should contact HP tech support. HP says that the eSATA port on the back of your server is port-multiplier aware, so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use that eSATA tower.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 5:20 PM
  •  

I  think the issue is what is called SSU Smart Spin Up.  My drives do not have it but the DS2350S does and this slows or stops the drive to go into a green mode and to also avoid brown outs caused by a surge demand of current when all the drives are asked to come on at the same time.  The HP home server is a drive hog and it wants immediate access to the drive when it calls for it.  If my Sata system is going green for energy conservation, the HP Server thinks the drive has failed and drops it and goes into failure mode.  I cannot figure out how to turn off the SSU function in the DS2350 as it is not in the control board so it must be in the power supply.  Be aware that this Spin Up Mode is on some green dries and the Home Server does not like these types of drives.  I use Seagate as do not have this feature and Seagate is what HP uses.
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 7:43 PM