Points, My Threads, Alerts: Temporarily Disabled RRS feed

• General discussion

• We are experience issues on the back end of the application. Until this is resolved as of 9:16am PST time point calculations, My Threads, My Alerts, Profile Activities, and Email Alerts are disabled. I will update this thread when I have an update.
    Community Forums Program Manag
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:55 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• thanks for the information. I currently noticed the missing update of the activities.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:12 PM
  • Brent,

I'm also unable to see my activity list updated for 2 days, my gained points on the threads which i've answered "still" hasn't been reflected on my total points, it's stucked on 3,013. (There are nearly 100 points missing or maybe more as of today).   Will my missing points be updated? (I'm still waiting as of 19th of March!).

looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!

Best regards, Saygılarımla, Onur Güzel

Yazgeliştir Forumları VB.NET / C# Moderatorü.

Microsoft Haber Grupları Profilim (VB.NET)

• Edited by Onur Güzel Saturday, March 19, 2011 5:11 PM
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 10:26 AM
  • Hello,

It seems that bug is related to the display of some special "titles" like Microsoft Community Contributor which has been added in the post. This kind of titles is maybe useful, but it forbids the display of correct statistics, it is useless.

I have been surprised to receive this title but correct statistics and a correct list of my posts are surely more useful for me to follow my threads as it seems that i have not posted since March 18th (midnight french time ) which is false.

Maybe a problem of replication, but is it possible to post somewhere to warn moderators and other "titled" persons that there is a problem since the March 17th ?

Have a nice week-end

PS : if i am posting or doing housekeeping on the forums where i am moderator, it is to help the original posters and other people interessed with the contain of the threads. A new title or award , it is always pleasant to be appreciated but it is not why i am on the forums. For me, to see forums with good quick answers, it is my pleasure and the most important award for me. It is possible that i am behaving like that because i am old ( 1947 ) but, to do that , i need reliable tools which help me.

I am realy sorry to be so rude versus the team who develops the applications managing the whole forums as i know ( or conceive ) how it is difficult to develop and test applications used by so many people. I complained already about disfunctions when the way of calculus of points has changed ( my last complain ) and i restart today because i cannot follow my threads since 36 hours. Points, awards : it's pleasant but when i cannot do my moderator work, i am having a good grumble.So, for Brent Serbus, don't think i am attacking you or the Forum Developpement Team.Your work is tremendous, but there is a problem : i know that the week-end is beginning and that it is not pleasant to work on a Saturday/Sunday but , for me it is important : it is my last possiblity to be a little useful ( as i am retired ) for the other people.

Thanks beforehand

And have a nice day ( and a too shortened weekend )

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    • Edited by Papy Normand Saturday, March 19, 2011 2:50 PM Added PS ( my post was too aggressive )
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Can you activate at least the "My Threads" update?

Working is too complicated without this feature.

André

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 2:56 PM
  • >Can you activate at least the "My Threads" update?

>Working is too complicated without this feature.

For me it's the "My Forum Threads" funcon.

to quote somebody: "Working is too complicated without this feature."

Mike Walsh

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Hello Andre.Ziegler,

You are right.

Now , when i am using "My Threads", i can see all the activity on the threads i have initiated or replied ( it was false yesterday like you i suppose as we have nearly the same time offset France/Germany ).

2 problems are remaining :

- i am receiving no e-mail notification for my threads

- the list of my threads obtainde by clicking my name on the forums is always not updated since Thursday ( idem for the statistics ).

Ouf, i may work in a less difficult way.

Have a nice day

Saturday, March 19, 2011 5:12 PM
  • Hello Andre.Ziegler,

You are right.

Now , when i am using "My Threads", i can see all the activity on the threads i have initiated or replied ( it was false yesterday like you i suppose as we have nearly the same time offset France/Germany ).

2 problems are remaining :

- the list of my threads obtainde by clicking my name on the forums is always not updated since Thursday ( idem for the statistics ).

Ouf, i may work in a less difficult way.

Have a nice day

More problems still exist:

1-Points gained on and after 17th of March hasn't been included in total points of members' profile's still. Also total post count and answer count aren't updated still.

2-Activity log still stuck on 17th of March, no recent activity is being shown though there are, actually.

3-My alerts still not updated, as stated.

Hope to see them fixed and included missing and deserved points/activity entries on our profiles.

Best regards, Saygılarımla, Onur Güzel

Yazgeliştir Forumları VB.NET / C# Moderatorü.

Microsoft Haber Grupları Profilim (VB.NET)

Saturday, March 19, 2011 5:39 PM
  • Hi mike,

the "My Threads" works now fine again. Check it.

André

Saturday, March 19, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Hi André

> the "My Threads" works now fine again. Check it.

and My Forum Threads too.

Now there is just Alerts - I'm already dreading the number of Alerts I'll get when that starts to work again (and wondering if the best idea is quite simply to mark the lot of them as read and move on).

Mike

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:06 AM
  • Hi, my profile does not show my activities after march 17 2011 - However, i have had at least 7-8 activities.

I am new to MSDN forum and this is the first time i am posting an issue - is this the right place to notify about my problem? if so, can you please help me and if not, can you point me to the right place.

Thanks!

- Paras Doshi [Microsoft student Partner, India]. (SQL) Azure and cloud computing paradigm enthusiast! I blog at http://www.parasdoshi.com and URL of my unified profile is http://www.flavors.me/paras
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:16 AM
  • 1-Points gained on and after 17th of March hasn't been included in total points of members' profile's still. Also total post count and answer count aren't updated still.

2-Activity log still stuck on 17th of March, no recent activity is being shown though there are, actually.

3-My alerts still not updated, as stated.

Hope to see them fixed and included missing and deserved points/activity entries on our profiles.

Getting the same issues. Nothing since the 17th, no email alerts about replies or other activities on posts. Points have not increased for days even after multiple answers and posts.

Thanks

Paul

Twitter: paul__iddon..... Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Dont forget to vote on if you find the answer helpful. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Any advice given in these forums should be tested in a non production environment before implementing.
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:53 AM
  • 2 problems are remaining :

Hi,

this is ok so. Like Brent says the recent activity (the post you made shown under your account) and the notification is temporarily disabled.

We have to wait of a reply from Brent.

best regards and a nice Sunday
    André

Sunday, March 20, 2011 2:29 PM
  • Any eta on alerts or activity?  It's getting really hard to keep track of postings and try to follow up on postings.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:02 PM
  • Hello,

Everybody knows that the no-update of the points is annoying, but the fact that we are not receiving e-mail notifications is more important. I have noticed that the activity on the forums is always less important during the week-end so the problem is less important than if it has happened on Monday or Thursday. The last night, i have tought of this problem and i concluded that the most annoyed people are the developpers of Forums Team who are working during this week-end to repair this problem and we have to be patient.All things considered, i prefer to wait during the week-end rather between Monday to Friday, because the Forums Management Team has been too much stressed because the repair is not going enough quickly;

All i hope  is that someone ( maybe Brent ) will accept to explain the difficulties encountered. I am sure that the huge number of threads and posts to treat is not simplifying the task of the developpers/testers. I know how it is difficult to do valuable tests with such an amount of data.So keep it up!  ( for Brent and his colleagues ).

Have a nice day

Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Thanks for everyone's feedback.  Unfortunately, it is a little difficult at this point to just turn certain things on/off. We can do that in pieces but doing so increases instability in the back end, regardless of which piece we attempt to temporarily re enable. We understand this is important will turn on what we can when we can. The priority of re enabling pieces is 1. my threads 2. alerts 3. points 4. activities.  2, 3 and 4 are all one thing on the back end. So at this point, the best we can do is perhaps re enable #1 from time to time and we will continue to do that when we can. But don't count on it continually working and expect latency and outtages until we can correct the problems we are seeing.

Friday we were hopeful some adjustments made would correct a majority of the problems. Friday night/Saturday we realized this wasn't so and we will need to keep working on the problem.

So for now, everything is off while we are working on the back end. I'll have another update at the end of the day.

Community Forums Program Manager
    Monday, March 21, 2011 5:59 PM
    Answerer
  • Tonight we started up some process that should catch up the My Threads for folks. But this will be on and off tomorrow. Hopefully by morning everyones my threads will be caught up.  We also started some services to catch up the queue of point recalcs, activities, and email alerts, but those will take a while and we may need to stop that process tomorrow also. I'll have another update tomrrow.

No need to report issues on any of this stuff until I declare things are resolved, at this point they aren't but at least some of the data should start getting refreshed.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:59 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the updates Brent.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:17 AM
  • We think we made some progress today, resolving one of the big problems contributing to our system health. Around 2pm or so we have enabled the job to keep the 'my threads' up to date. We also started the services to start catching up the point calculations, profile activites and the email alerts, so expect a minor wave of forum notifications to be sent overnight.

Tomorrow we plan to keep an eye on things and decide when to re activate the NNTP bridge service. We also have a few other system level adjustments we are working on. I should have an update tomorrow on when we expect to get the NNTP bridge enabled again.

If you are still seeing issues with points, activities or email alert delays realize the service is backed up pretty far so it will take a while (a day or so) for it to catch these things up. Also, the right rail 'my forum links' has a delayed load, we are working on that.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:48 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Brent for the continous updates during this period, I am sure most of us here appreciate the informational updates :-)
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:42 AM
    Administrator
  • Hello Brent Serbus,

Thanks very much for you and your team to have "repaired" this problem.And the next time, don't mark as answer the posts which give the link towards the treads related to this kind of problem.Post and you will have the pleasure to have the answered award, which you and your team have really deserved ( i think that the points i got are simply stolen )

Have a nice day

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Thanks for the continues updates! and ofcourse solving the problem.

Keep up the good work

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:23 PM
  • OK, I think most of this is behind us. The system health metrics have been mostly stable today after we enabled all the back end services. We have a minor hotfix we plan to deploy tomorrow morning, so don't be surprised if there is a minor period of flakyness, it should be a minute or two probably around 10am pst (around this time).
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:56 AM
    Answerer
  • Thank you, very much for your efforts to repair msdn blog. =)
    [My blog] [My E-mail]
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:45 AM
  • OK, I think most of this is behind us. The system health metrics have been mostly stable today after we enabled all the back end services. We have a minor hotfix we plan to deploy tomorrow morning, so don't be surprised if there is a minor period of flakyness, it should be a minute or two probably around 10am pst (around this time).

Hello Brent,

I'm not receiving email notices, is the system still having issues or is there an email address I should whitelist in my spam filter? I submitted a new post last week which was replied to the day after, April 13th, I did not receive an email notice.

Thank you.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:43 PM
  • PLease create a new thread for this so we don't lose it. Thanks
    Friday, April 15, 2011 5:04 AM
    Answerer
  • My points/answers, etc. are not being updated. They stopped few hours ago (Activities seem to be up to date).
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Friday, April 15, 2011 11:51 PM