How to migrate CRM4 reports to another server? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

I would like to migrate the CRM4 's reports (Custom & default) reports to a new server, purely setup to handled reporting only.

Previously the architechture was CRM4 frontend + reporting services in one server.

SQL Database in another server

Now, we bought a new server, and plan to put the reporting on that server.

Plan:

1. Install SRS in new server
    2. Install CRM dataconnector in new server.
    3. change report url in deployment management
    4. Copy report RDl file over new server ??(Not sure this step work for CRM4) publishedreport.exe??

Hope someone can guide me on steps to migrate

Anyone here did the same thing before? Any issue or steps that I need to follow or take care. Thanks

regards,

toong yang

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 3:16 AM

Answers

• here are the steps from the following post.  I hope this helps.  As always, it is best to test this before applying to production.

http://blogs.inetium.com/blogs/tedh/archive/2008/01/17/how-do-i-move-crm-4-0-reports-to-a-new-sql-report-server.aspx

To change the report server with CRM 4.0!  For out-of-the-box reports, they are now stored in the MSCRM database along with the Reportserver database.  So – if you want to change the report server with CRM 4.0:

1. Disable the organization in Deployment Manager, that you want to change the report server for
    2. Right-click disabled org, choose “Edit organization”
    3. Modify the Report Server URL
      1. There will be a diagnostic process, that will determine if reports can be moved to the new URL
      2. If the diags pass, the reports will be published to the new report server
    4. Re-enable the organization
    5. Install the SRSS Data Connector

Now – this will not work for custom reports.  Microsoft is working on a tool that will be similar to the 3.0 DownloadReports.exe tool.  Until then – you can manually download them from the user interface, then publish them after you have made the changes note above

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Toong Yang,

You might want to check out this article : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb522762.aspx. Although it's applied for SSRS 2008, but the deployment method might be applied for SSRS 2005 as well.

Hope this helps,

hadi teo
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 3:49 AM
  • Hi Toong Yang,

You might want to check out this article as well :

http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/using/deploy/changesrs.mspx

Hope this helps,

hadi teo
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 3:51 AM
  • here are the steps from the following post.  I hope this helps.  As always, it is best to test this before applying to production.

http://blogs.inetium.com/blogs/tedh/archive/2008/01/17/how-do-i-move-crm-4-0-reports-to-a-new-sql-report-server.aspx

To change the report server with CRM 4.0!  For out-of-the-box reports, they are now stored in the MSCRM database along with the Reportserver database.  So – if you want to change the report server with CRM 4.0:

1. Disable the organization in Deployment Manager, that you want to change the report server for
    2. Right-click disabled org, choose “Edit organization”
    3. Modify the Report Server URL
      1. There will be a diagnostic process, that will determine if reports can be moved to the new URL
      2. If the diags pass, the reports will be published to the new report server
    4. Re-enable the organization
    5. Install the SRSS Data Connector

Now – this will not work for custom reports.  Microsoft is working on a tool that will be similar to the 3.0 DownloadReports.exe tool.  Until then – you can manually download them from the user interface, then publish them after you have made the changes note above

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 6:11 PM
  • Any updates on the availability of the CRM 4.0 Downloadreports.exe tool?

Stephen V Noe
    www.bizitpro.com

Stephen V Noe, CRM MCT
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:46 PM
  • I haven't seen any information on this topic.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:40 PM
  • Hi Donna, Is there a way to migrate crm 4 (on-prem) report into crm 2011 Online beta? We have one custom report in crm 4 that I would like to bring it onto crm 2011 online. Appreciate your help
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 2:21 AM
  • Hi,

You won't be able to migrate the report but you can rebuild it and deploy.  Here is a great article that describes how to create a custom report for CRM Online.

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 2:08 PM
  • Thanks. Its a great article. Crm 4 report contains calculated fields and custom joint queries.  Can we create these using fetch xml? Or does BIDS allow us to create calculated fields / joint queries etc.,?  Could we use Report Builder 3? The advanced find is limited with fetch xml. 

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 10:10 PM