How do I activate Windows Home Server free 120 day trial period. RRS feed

• Question

• Installed WHS last night and this morning my 30 day trial period has already expired.  Can not find any detailed instructions to activate the 120 day trial.  I tried to do it by phone but was told by the automated process and a live agent that the product key was in error.  The live agent already knew the bad number and had me confirm it.  Is the only way to call during business hours?

Sunday, March 29, 2009 1:03 PM

Answers

• Installed WHS last night and this morning my 30 day trial period has already expired.  Can not find any detailed instructions to activate the 120 day trial.  I tried to do it by phone but was told by the automated process and a live agent that the product key was in error.  The live agent already knew the bad number and had me confirm it.  Is the only way to call during business hours?

You need to request a key from MS through Connect.  However, if it says your 30 day trial has already expired, I wouldn't activate it.  Instead, I would start with a New Installation (making sure the date and time in the BIOS are correct first), wait at least a week, then, if everything is running properly, activate your eval.
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 1:18 PM

All replies

You need to request a key from MS through Connect.  However, if it says your 30 day trial has already expired, I wouldn't activate it.  Instead, I would start with a New Installation (making sure the date and time in the BIOS are correct first), wait at least a week, then, if everything is running properly, activate your eval.
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 1:18 PM
  • Are you installing from an Action Pack subscription? If so the only way to get the correct product key is to go through the support number, see e.g. this thread .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 2:10 PM