WHS Mobo went bad RRS feed

• Question

• I made a WHS with an intel mobo. It went bad, won't boot. Do you suppose if I buy another intel board I can get away with putting the HDD's on that board and install the new drivers?
    Reason I'm asking is because I tried to do this with another computer in the house and WHS hdd's booted over and over in a never ending cycle.

Monday, August 17, 2009 11:33 PM

Answers

• thanks for the advice I'll be looking for the replacement board and checking the BIOS on the old. I'm not what happened to it I rebooted it, and that was that it hasn't worked since.
    • Marked as answer by whs12 Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:01 AM
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:20 AM

All replies

• <Do you suppose if I buy another intel board I can get away with putting the HDD's on that board and install the new drivers?>
    Probably not.  Windows is not fond of being uprooted from one mobo and transplanted to another. 
    The only way to have any guarantee of sucess is to transplant the drives to an identical motherboard.

Best course of action:  transfer the drives to the new board.  Insert your WHS DVD, and reboot; boot from the DVD.  If you're given the option to perform a Server Reinstallation, do that - it'll reinstall the OS to the System partition, and rebuild the filesystem (note here, that it can take a long, long time to finish a Server Reinstallation, depending on the size of your storage pool.)
    If you aren't given the option to do a Server Reinstallation, cancel the installation.  Go back, and make sure that all of your drives are visible at the start of installation.
    And, if you're stuck, ask for help.  ;)

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 2:44 AM
  • Hi,
    sometimes it can help, to change the SATA controller mode in Bios to IDE (especially, if the old controller was also set this way, sometimes also AHCI, but never RAID) and ensure, that the system drive is connected to the first disk port (and the PC also boots from that port according to Bios settings).
    This sometimes allows you to boot, install the new drivers, reactivate the OS and go on.

But the method described by Chris is the only supported.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 8:17 AM
  • thanks for the advice I'll be looking for the replacement board and checking the BIOS on the old. I'm not what happened to it I rebooted it, and that was that it hasn't worked since.
    • Marked as answer by whs12 Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:01 AM
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:20 AM