Hierarchic Lookup Table Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone else encountered this?

I create a look up table for a "Required" Project field that employs a code mask with three layers of characters. The look up table is associated with a field that allows multiple values to be selected but only values with no subordinate values. There is nothing in the defining of the lookup table that I can see to display all nodes.

The "Required" Project field is included in a PDP - when editing the PDP the field drop down button is visible but when you click it the list is always collapsed to the highest level (level 1) which shows greyed out as it cannot be selected as it has subordinate values.

Is there any way to force fields that use look up tables to display all levels automatically when the edit button for the field is selected - at present users have to click twice to expand out the look up table to reveal appropriate values for selection. As the field is required users have to provide a value but are finiding all the clicks a bit obstructive as they want to capture relevant information quickly.

Dominic Moss MAPM, MCTS, MCITP, MCT
    Wellingtone PM News
    Wellingtone EPM Site
    Wellingtone PM Recruitment

Friday, February 15, 2013 12:24 PM

Answers

• My assumption is that the display level is automatically selected to minimise the scrolling when the list is initially shown. With a short list, more levels are shown; with a long list, fewer levels. This seems like a reasonable design decision - scrolling can be a more tedious action than expanding a selection.
    Graham
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Dominic,

I had more or less similar situation with one of my clients. And unfortunately we had to go for customization, as there's no way to handle it.

IN
    Thanks, Kashif

Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:35 AM
  • My assumption is that the display level is automatically selected to minimise the scrolling when the list is initially shown. With a short list, more levels are shown; with a long list, fewer levels. This seems like a reasonable design decision - scrolling can be a more tedious action than expanding a selection.
    Graham
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 3:00 PM
  • Thanks for the response - I can appreciate the thinking behind this and guess I will have to communicate this to people in future to overcome objections.

Dominic Moss MAPM, MCTS, MCITP, MCT
    Wellingtone PM News
    Wellingtone EPM Site
    Wellingtone PM Recruitment

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:43 AM