Added a HDD as a "Server Backup Harddrive". Now what? RRS feed

• Question

• As the topic states.
    How do I (or WHS for that matter) use this spare storage? Manually?
    Any FAQ or description how to?
    WHS on a P4@3.20 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 1.96 TB disk space
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:58 PM

Answers

• Have you, by any chance, perused the console help file? Everything about using a server backup drive is in there.

But yes, you back your server up manually. It's now listed in the Computers and Backup tab; you can select it and back up one or more shares at any time. You can remove it temporarily at any time (just choose to remove it in the console, you'll get the option) in which case everything is left in place, or permanently, in which case the drive is scrubbed (I think, it's been a while since I removed a backup drive permanently).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:26 AM

All replies

• Have you, by any chance, perused the console help file? Everything about using a server backup drive is in there.

But yes, you back your server up manually. It's now listed in the Computers and Backup tab; you can select it and back up one or more shares at any time. You can remove it temporarily at any time (just choose to remove it in the console, you'll get the option) in which case everything is left in place, or permanently, in which case the drive is scrubbed (I think, it's been a while since I removed a backup drive permanently).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:26 AM
  • Would enabling Folder duplication and configuring the desired folders to be duplicated be a better option? I am faced with the same question now, I have a 1TB drive and cant decide how to add my second drive. Can you backup the system drive or just shares and does restoring a server backup work the same way as using a restore CD on a pc.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 4:03 AM
  • Thanks Ken, really helpful as always!
    Yes I did look under "Help" in the Console, but I guess I was a bit tired doing this around midnight local time (and I also missed the new addition in the Backup tab)...

WHS on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+, 3 GB RAM, a mixed setup of harddrives in and outside the storage pool...
    Monday, May 25, 2009 5:12 AM
  • Would enabling Folder duplication and configuring the desired folders to be duplicated be a better option?

That depends.  Keep in mind Folder Duplication does not protect your data in 2 scenarios:

1)  Accidental file deletion (you delete a file and WHS automatically deletes both copies)
    2)  Loss of your server due to fire, flood, theft, etc.

I am faced with the same question now, I have a 1TB drive and cant decide how to add my second drive. Can you backup the system drive or just shares

The backup app provided within WHS only backs up shares.  It's possible (although unsupported) to backup your client backup database as well (either manually by following the steps laid out in the Technical Brief or using an add-in called BDBB).  It's not possible to back up the OS partition at all.

and does restoring a server backup work the same way as using a restore CD on a pc.
    No, it's not the same.  You can find the details of how to restore your shares by using the Help function in the Console.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:43 PM
  • Would enabling Folder duplication and configuring the desired folders to be duplicated be a better option?

That depends.  Keep in mind Folder Duplication does not protect your data in 2 scenarios:

1)  Accidental file deletion (you delete a file and WHS automatically deletes both copies)
    2)  Loss of your server due to fire, flood, theft, etc.

I am faced with the same question now, I have a 1TB drive and cant decide how to add my second drive. Can you backup the system drive or just shares

The backup app provided within WHS only backs up shares.  It's possible (although unsupported) to backup your client backup database as well (either manually by following the steps laid out in the Technical Brief or using an add-in called BDBB).  It's not possible to back up the OS partition at all.

and does restoring a server backup work the same way as using a restore CD on a pc.
    No, it's not the same.  You can find the details of how to restore your shares by using the Help function in the Console.

Thanks, here's a related question. WHS wont allow me to add my new drive as a server backup drive, it says there is no partition available and to create one and restart WHS to add the drive. Since this is the condition any off the shelf drive will arrive what is the correct way to add a server backup drive? The Help doesnt say anything regarding this. Thanks
    • Edited by efjay Monday, May 25, 2009 6:53 PM
    Monday, May 25, 2009 6:09 PM
  • Thanks, here's a related question. WHS wont allow me to add my new drive as a server backup drive, it says there is no partition available and to create one and restart WHS to add the drive. Since this is the condition any off the shelf drive will arrive what is the correct way to add a server backup drive? The Help doesnt say anything regarding this. Thanks
    The supported method is to detach it from your server, connect it to a client PC, format it there, then move the drive back to the server.  The unsupported method is to logon to the server desktop and do it from there (just make sure you format the correct drive, otherwise you will mess up your entire server, including the obvious loss of data).  The workaround (which should be supported) is to cheat. :)  Add the drive to the storage pool (which forces WHS to format it), wait a minute or two for it to complete, then remove the same drive from the storage pool.  The only problem with this method is if you have no way of identifying that specific drive in the Console (either by drive size, drive name or using the Disk Management add-in), it's possible you may not remove the correct drive from the storage pool.  Even then, the worst case scenario is you just have to wait WHS to move files from one drive to another.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 7:36 PM