Can we directly deal with Contacts and not leads? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are currently trying to integrate Microsoft Dynamics with another system that uses only contacts (lead rating, lead source are attached to a contact). Could you please let me know if we can directly deal with contacts in Microsoft Dynamics and not leads? I could see that a lead source can be attached to a contact and lead rating can be found through opportunity associated with that contact. Are there any issues if we use contacts directly? Please advice.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:43 PM

Answers

• There wan't be any issue and you are perfectly fine for this and XRM solution model is itself states it extensive and flexible as per business requirement.

MayankP
    My Blog
    Follow Me on Twitter

• Marked as answer by pavanperi Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:26 PM
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:09 PM
    Answerer
  • There is no technical issue, just be aware that you will get none of the lead management automation like promotion to Account/Opportunity if you start with a Contact.  May not be a big deal, but also may mean you need to rebuild the lead promotion process with custom code, depending on your need.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Proposed as answer by Guido PreiteMVP Thursday, May 8, 2014 12:03 PM
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:43 PM
  • Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your quick response. Opportunities can be associated with contacts. May I know why can't we have a work flow to create an opportunity for a specific contact?

Regards

Pavan

Hi Pavan,
    what Wayne meant is that Lead entity have some built-in commands (from the ribbon) to promote a lead directly to an opportunity. You can create an opportunity starting from a contact by a direct relationship or using a workflow, there is no limitations for this requirement.

My blog: www.crmanswers.net - Rockstar 365 Profile

• Marked as answer by pavanperi Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:25 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by pavanperi Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by pavanperi Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:27 PM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 12:03 PM

All replies

• There wan't be any issue and you are perfectly fine for this and XRM solution model is itself states it extensive and flexible as per business requirement.

MayankP
    My Blog
    Follow Me on Twitter

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:09 PM
    Answerer
  • There is no technical issue, just be aware that you will get none of the lead management automation like promotion to Account/Opportunity if you start with a Contact.  May not be a big deal, but also may mean you need to rebuild the lead promotion process with custom code, depending on your need.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Proposed as answer by Guido PreiteMVP Thursday, May 8, 2014 12:03 PM
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:43 PM
  • Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your quick response. Opportunities can be associated with contacts. May I know why can't we have a work flow to create an opportunity for a specific contact?

Regards

Pavan

Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:31 AM
  • Hi Wayne,

Regards

Pavan

Hi Pavan,
    what Wayne meant is that Lead entity have some built-in commands (from the ribbon) to promote a lead directly to an opportunity. You can create an opportunity starting from a contact by a direct relationship or using a workflow, there is no limitations for this requirement.

My blog: www.crmanswers.net - Rockstar 365 Profile

• Marked as answer by pavanperi Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:25 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by pavanperi Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by pavanperi Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:27 PM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 12:03 PM
  • Thank you all for the inputs.
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:25 PM