none
WHS Restore leaves drive without a boot loader RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sure that this isn't likely to be a typical restore method (or a typical setup at all).  My questions are:
    • Is backup and restore of dual/multi-boot a supported scenario ?  Should it be ?  (I imagine that it works, even though I didn't try it)
    • Is migration of a non-primary partition to the primary partition a supported scenario ? Should it be ? 
    • See below for scenario and resolution

Perhaps this scenario wasn't considered, but its one that I just walked through myself.

1) Machine has Windows XP/MCE (any version)
    2) WHS Connector is installed, and machine is backed up
    3) Windows 7 is acquired
    4) Windows 7 is installed via "Boot to VHD" method (dual boot w/ XP, but w/out creating a partition)
    5) Windows 7 is tested on the PC
    6) WHS Connector is installed to Windows 7, and machine is backed up
    7) Customer decides that Windows 7 is great, no need to keep XP
    8) Customer uses WHS Restore CD to restore their Windows 7 backup to their machine (erasing all traces of XP)
    9) Machine will no longer boot, as no bootloader is present

I was able to solve the problem by copying bootmgr to the root partition along with a copy of boot.ini (properly edited).
    Would have been really nice if the WHS Restore figured out what I was doing, and left machine in a bootable state (or provided options/tools to automate).

Cheers
    Mike

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 9:12 PM

All replies

• Backup of a mluti-boot computer is supported. Restore is supported if you restore all bootable partitions at the same time, otherwise you are not guaranteed to have a bootable computer at the end of the day. (As you found out.) This requirement is documented either in the Windows Home Server console help file, or in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:20 PM
  • This maybe more of a Windows 7 specific issue if you had a 100MB partition that was not restored.  Read more here and see if it applies: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/95e9f037-d21e-4027-a217-9c15cda3644e
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:22 AM
  • The Windows 7 issue is a special case of the general "restore all bootable partitions at the same time" requirement.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:02 PM