Not a genuine copy of windows?? How do I resolve this? RRS feed

• Question

• Am posting this question again, since my previous thread was closed with out any resolution coz' of lack in information.

I have included the full diagnostic report along with info from original post in this thread.

I have a DELL inspiron laptop which came preintalled with Windows Vista Home Basic. It was working fine until some time back when I started getting a message that this copy of windows is not genuine and the desktop went black.

Ever since then every time I log in I'm asked if I want to activate Windows and during this process, when I try entering the product key mentioned on the COA, it says that the key is invalid. Sice I have the COA I'm sure this copy of windows is genuine

Few things I'd like to add/clarify:

--> In one post it was mentioned that pre installed versions may be OEM versions(not sure what tha means) and the product key mentioned in the computer properties may vary from the one menioned on the COA. This is the case for me, how does this work?

-->using the slui.exe 4 - requires activation of windows which in turn needs the product key, so this is getting me nowhere. I'm locked out except for 3 options and I do not know how to start windows in reduced functionality mode(am assuming its something similar to safe mode).

--> I believe this problem started after some update was installed since my setting was to automatically find windows updates and install, but I'm not sure which one - one post menioned that sometimes when updates are installed in a system which had OS preinstalled, some entry in the system/ BIOS registry gets erased causing this problem.

-->I cant try the Windows Genuine advantage online since windows is not activated.

--> Noticed another solution on one post which  involved "rename tokens.dat tokens.bar " and rebooting the computer twice.

Havent tried this as yet, coz' am not sure if it'll work and I dont want the problem to become any worse/ lose any data.

--> I've run the diagnostic tool and the complete report is as below:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0019.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Invalid License

Validation Code: 50

Cached Validation Code: 0xc004c4a8

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-4WD8X-M9WM7-CH4CG

Windows Product Key Hash: EkdqJZ28Y9zyrh7DU/lHNjTXlQY=

Windows Product ID: 89572-OEM-7332166-00096

Windows Product ID Type: 2

Windows License Type: OEM SLP

Windows OS version: 6.0.6002.2.00010300.2.0.002

ID: {6FCF5A61-EFC2-4D3D-9E85-EE9DDC735D90}(1)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Basic

Architecture: 0x00000000

Build lab: 6002.vistasp2_gdr.091208-0542

TTS Error:

Validation Diagnostic:

Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->

ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Version: 6.0.6002.16398

WGA Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

File Exists: No

Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 100

Version: 2.0.48.0

OGAExec.exe Signed By: Microsoft

OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 100 Genuine

Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 - 100 Genuine

OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{6FCF5A61-EFC2-4D3D-9E85-EE9DDC735D90}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0019.0</Version><OS>6.0.6002.2.00010300.2.0.002</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-CH4CG</PKey><PID>89572-OEM-7332166-00096</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-298988758-2826386492-4021493622</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Inspiron 1420                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A06</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080114000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>29303507018400EA</HWID><UserLCID>4009</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>India Standard Time(GMT+05:30)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>DELL  </OEMID><OEMTableID>M08    </OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-002F-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>B23E9EDB823B5B0</Val><Hash>8NwPBnklH8eI1eESwf6s2U0LXNA=</Hash><Pid>81602-OEM-6872856-11297</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->

C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs(1000, 9) (null): 0xC004E017

Windows Activation Technologies-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

HWID Hash Current: PAAAAAEABgABAAIAAQABAAAAAwABAAEAnJ9EdGaAGtPqTSSWUmauf0aDwoNSvOCj8vTm9wCqmNusViqF

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->

N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->

BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes

Windows marker version: 0x20000

OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes

BIOS Information:

ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value

APIC                  DELL              M08   

FACP                  DELL              M08   

HPET                  DELL              M08   

BOOT                  DELL              M08   

MCFG                  DELL              M08   

SLIC                  DELL              M08   

SSDT                  PmRef       CpuPm

Would appreciate any help in resolving this issue.

Thanks,
    Anita

• Edited by AnitaDsouza Friday, March 5, 2010 6:14 PM Updated details
    Friday, March 5, 2010 6:08 PM

Answers

• Hello AnitaDsouza,

You mentioned that it didn't work when you tried to enter the COA Key using the steps seen in other thread, go ahead and try the below steps.  It will force Vista create a new Licensing Store. It will then try to populate the store file with the proper Licensing Data.  At the end of these steps, when asked, enter the COA key and Activate by Phone. 

1) Open an Internet Browser window.
    2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.
    3) Find the file CMD.exe
    4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
    5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
    6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing
    7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    8) Type: cd %windir%\system32
    9) Type: net start slsvc
    10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)
    11) Restart your computer twice.
    12) You may be required to enter the Product Key and/or Activate.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Friday, March 5, 2010 10:49 PM

All replies

• Hello AnitaDsouza,

You mentioned that it didn't work when you tried to enter the COA Key using the steps seen in other thread, go ahead and try the below steps.  It will force Vista create a new Licensing Store. It will then try to populate the store file with the proper Licensing Data.  At the end of these steps, when asked, enter the COA key and Activate by Phone. 

1) Open an Internet Browser window.
    2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.
    3) Find the file CMD.exe
    4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
    5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
    6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing
    7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    8) Type: cd %windir%\system32
    9) Type: net start slsvc
    10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)
    11) Restart your computer twice.
    12) You may be required to enter the Product Key and/or Activate.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Friday, March 5, 2010 10:49 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Darin.

I'll try out what you've mentioned in the above steps. But before that, I'd just like to confirm one thing.

Is there anything that might go wrong when I try to create a new licensing store...meaning if this process is not successfull or there is an error trying to create the licensing store, will it stop windows from loading/beng usable at all...or am I likely to lose any data/settings.

I'd like to know just in case.

Thanks,
    Anita
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:58 PM
  • Hi Anita,

No, those steps rename a file (which to Windows is the same as deleting it) when Windows notices the file is missing, it will recreate a new one and then attempt to populate the file with the proper licensing data.

There is nothing in those steps that is inherently risky.  However, if you are concerned, I recommend backing up your importent files off the computer before you attempt the steps.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

I have followed your instructions above but after executing task item 4 I get the following error "Not enough quota is available to process this command".... It doesnt give me access to any of options you highlight....

Please help this is driving me crazy.

Regards
    Steven
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:51 PM
  • Hi Steven,

I have seen users in a Non-Genuine state that have received that error, however 'The Not Enough Quota' error is not related to WGA. 

Generally that error is related to not allocating enough memory to Windows. 

This seems unlikely since a) Windows sets the alocation by default and most users don't reallocate memory(or even know how) and b) WGA has no ability to make those types of changes to Windows.  The current theory is that it's malware related and the link to WGA is that many Non-Genuine issues are Malware related, as well.

Most users that see this error report that they reboot, try the steps and if they get the quota error, they reboot again and try again. Normally within 2 to 5 reboots you should be able to follow the steps without getting the Quota error.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:39 PM
  • Hi Darin,

I tried the steps mentioned by you above and it seems to have solved the problem. So the "This copy of windows is not genuine" message has disappeared from my desktop's bottom right corner. Also I was able to activate windows online after entering the COA key in the dialog box after restart.

But just one question here, when I looked at the windows status and product key through control panel(Control Panel>>System & Maintenance>>System), the product key being displayed there is the not the one(COA key) I entered. It still shows the same old product ID(OEM installation one I think) which was present before recreation of licensing store.

I wonder why is this not getting updated and if this mismatch in Product Key might cause "not genuine copy of windows" problem again.

Thanks for all your help,

Regards,
    Anita
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 6:15 PM