Ridiculous time to backup that never succeeds. RRS feed

• Question

• Since home server came out in 2007 and is based on Server 2003, I expected a mature product for my money.

I just set up a new Home Server.  The software is up to date excluding Power Pak 3 since it does not come down with the Updates installs.

System has an ATA drive for the OS and 8 - 2TB drives for data space, 1GBit Ethernet on the same sub as the client machine.  Running a tri-core 2.8 processor.  Have tried three times to run a backup of the client which has 6 drives with 3.2 TB of data.  Has failed 3 times due to network error and gotten half way through.    What do I need to do for this to work correctly.  Used to just use robocopy and it worked. 

Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:03 PM

All replies

• Since home server came out in 2007 and is based on Server 2003, I expected a mature product for my money.

I just set up a new Home Server.  The software is up to date excluding Power Pak 3 since it does not come down with the Updates installs.

System has an ATA drive for the OS and 8 - 2TB drives for data space, 1GBit Ethernet on the same sub as the client machine.  Running a tri-core 2.8 processor.  Have tried three times to run a backup of the client which has 6 drives with 3.2 TB of data.  Has failed 3 times due to network error and gotten half way through.    What do I need to do for this to work correctly.  Used to just use robocopy and it worked. 

Have you looked at the Event Logs or the WHS logs on the client for details about why it might be failing?  Do other clients successfully backup?  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each drive in your client?
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 11:50 PM
  • Getting PP3 might help you out bit.  Also you are trying to backup 3.2TB in one go and this might be a bit much for the system to cope with.  I would start by configuring your system drive in the 'configure backup' then do a manual backup, then add each drive on the client in turn until all 6 dirves are being backed up.  After that you should only be doing the incremental backup which should go back relatively quickly. 

--
    Friday, February 26, 2010 1:58 AM