Mother Board + SATA Controller choice RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm creating a brand new PC. I need help choosing hardware (M/B & SATA Card)

I like the simpel Intel M/Bs but they only have 4x SATA connections. No room to grow!

The WHS docs warn you should use a HD Controller with its on bios (no drivers).

Given this thing may grow over time 6x... 8x.. 10x .. 12x  Hard drives 

what M/B and HD Controler card is recommended? Suggestions?

Cheers

Rob

Friday, April 20, 2007 10:46 AM

All replies

• I currently have an ASUS board that actually has 8 SATA ports, but found the secondary SATA controller to be less than worthless when it came to drive performance. If there was more than one drive on the secondary controller, and you try accessing both at once - you'd get worse than 10/100 network speeds - and that's accessing the drives locally.

So I went with a Highpoint Rocket Raid 2302 PCI-Express card to go with my fileserver, instead. The only trick with it, was that I needed to format the four drives on another PC first, or it would only allow access them if I created a RAID/JBOD array.

As far as motherboards go.. the P965 chipset allows for 6 ports directly off the primary SATA controller. There's a few boards around with not too shabby SATA controllers as well - I believe the Abit AB9-Pro comes with 9 ports altogether, and also allows for you to throw a cheap Core 2 Duo chip into it, as well. Hopefully, when Home Server is released, motherboard manufacturers will start making more low-end fileserver orientated motherboards.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 2:44 PM
  • There are also several external options out there including USB, Firewire, and SATA that you can look at which will have their own power and cooling systems and put less strain on your server.
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 4:45 AM
  • Thanks guys for sharing your experience. Very useful.

So I'll go for a simple (but reliable) Intel  DP965LTCK board -- Supports 4x SATA (I'll immediately add 4x WD 500GB drives)

When I need to add more drives I will buy a Raid card. 
      Above 8x Drives? Don't have to worry about that yet. :-)

Monday, April 23, 2007 9:38 AM