CRM 4.0 -Can't export customizations of lead entity RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am trying to export the customizations from the Lead entity, but I receive a null reference error. I posted the stack trace below

< stacktrace > [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.] at Microsoft.Crm.ObjectModel.OrganizationUIService.LabelLoaderAllLanguages.LoadMetadataLabel(Int32 entityType, String attributeName, ExecutionContext context) at Microsoft.Crm.ObjectModel.OrganizationUIService.LabelLoader.LoadCellLabel(Guid cellObjectId, String cellObjectColumnName, Int32 objectType, String attributeName, ExecutionContext context) at Microsoft.Crm.ObjectModel.OrganizationUIService.InsertFormLabels(IBusinessEntity entity, ILabelLoader labelLoader, ExecutionContext context) at Microsoft.Crm.ObjectModel.OrganizationUIService.RetrieveMultipleWithAllLanguages(EntityExpression entityExpression, ExecutionContext context) at Microsoft.Crm.Metadata.OrganizationUIHelper.RetrieveInProductionHelper(Int32 objectTypeCode, ExecutionContext context) at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.ImportExportPublish.FormXmlHandler.ExportItem(XmlDocument importDocument) at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.ImportExportPublish.ExportHandler.Export(XmlDocument XDoc) at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.ImportExportPublish.ExportHandler.Export(XmlDocument XDoc) at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.ImportExportPublish.RootExportHandler.RunExport(String[] ExportEntities, String[] ExportRoles, String[] ExportWorkflows, ExportMask Mask) at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.ImportExportPublish.ExportXml.RunExport(String xmlArgs, XmlDocument& ExportDoc) at Microsoft.Crm.WebServices.ExportXmlService.ExportCompressed(String entities, String embeddedFileName, ExecutionContext context) [TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.] at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Utility.Util.RaiseXMLError(Exception exception) at Microsoft.Crm.Dialogs.ExportCustomizationsPage.ConfigureForm() at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.AppUIPage.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) [HttpUnhandledException: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.] at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) at ASP.cot_puritech__grid_cmds_dlg_exportcustomizations_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) </ stacktrace >

It looks to me like this may have to do with an attribute, possibly one that doesn't have the name label displayed. I read an article about a similar problem and it suggested adding a tempory attribute with same name as the one that is missing. The problem with this is, I cannot publish my changes to the lead form. I was hoping to export the current version of the lead form, revert back to the default and get it to publish, and then import my customizations and go from there.

If anyone knows a way around this or a way I can get the customizations to export into a format that I can import again, that would very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 3:39 PM

Answers

• open your customizations,attributes on your enity and see if all your display names are showing.
    Looks like one of your display names  on attributes or forms is balnk
    Tiaan van Niekerk http://crmdelacreme.blogspot.com Skype:tiaan.van.niekerk1
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:27 AM