Is it possible to automate a client-side start of a backup? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client that is not powered up ususally over night when WHS is performing the backups.

Is there a way that I can kick off a "manual" backup automatically?  I was thinking that I could put a startup script on the box that would start the backup.

It's on wireless, so a WOL wouldn't work and the BIOs doesn't have an option to power on at a specific time.

Thanks

Mike

Thursday, June 7, 2007 4:58 PM

Answers

• There's a utility called "backupengine" in program files\windows home server that will start a client side backup with the -a flag. Call it from a scheduled event and that should do the trick. I just tested it myself, and the backup started.  That was a really good question, thanks for asking, as it prodded me to do a little research/testing.  Meanwhile, back at the WHS CTP,
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 11:26 PM

All replies

• You can put the machine in standby mode and WHS will startup the machine for backup.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:50 PM
  • There's a utility called "backupengine" in program files\windows home server that will start a client side backup with the -a flag. Call it from a scheduled event and that should do the trick. I just tested it myself, and the backup started.  That was a really good question, thanks for asking, as it prodded me to do a little research/testing.  Meanwhile, back at the WHS CTP,
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 11:26 PM
  • Thanks.  I'll have to try this out and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Friday, June 8, 2007 7:05 PM