none
Microsoft Phone Scam RRS feed

• Question

• A man called my home last week stating he as with Microsoft, and that our computer was sending out corrupted files and that is must have malware on it.  He talked my husband into reluctantly giving this man remote access to the computer, and showed him the "supposed" corrupted files.

After he went through the programs, he advised my husband that out Windows Defender program was seriously out of date, and for a nominal fee, he could update it at that time.  My husband told him he was not interested at this time, but at that point the caller had locked us out of our computer that could only be accessed with a password.  When my husband demanded re-access to the computer, the caller advised my husband that he could get access again when the Defender program was updated, and left his name and number to call him when he had payment to update the program.  This name and number were obviously fake.

My husband hung up, and promptly shut down the system.

I was able to reset the computer to a prior date settings when it rebooted, and then had someone I trusted to check to see if any personal info was copied (my taxes were on the computer with all our personal info) - which it was not..thank GOD! I didn't learn until after this happened that this has been happening around the country, and in other countries as well.  There is a notice about this scam on the Microsoft web site, but unless you go on it regularly, I don't think there are many people that would know of it.  I didn't.  It seems to have been going on for awhile if the other posts I read are anything to go buy.....

Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you’ve received a call from someone who claims to be from Microsoft and wants to fix your computer, hang up. You can also report these calls to the Federal Trade Commission.

Please read: Don’t fall for phony phone tech support

And: "Local news says, “Those calls are not coming from Microsoft”".

Regards.

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile

Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:30 AM
  • I cannot do system restore since I have never used it before, I cannot unlock my other computer. I don't know what to do. 
    Monday, February 11, 2013 4:37 PM
  • jerah04 try F8 when you start up your computer. In that way you can propably set a new password for your account. It's called something like "Startup Windows on Secure mode".

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Monday, February 25, 2013 9:05 AM