disable option RRS feed

• Question

• is there an option now to disable tune up, or schedule to NEVER Run..?
    Friday, July 20, 2007 3:19 AM

Answers

• No, every four weeks is the longest interval that can be set between tune ups.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 3:42 AM

All replies

• No, every four weeks is the longest interval that can be set between tune ups.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 3:42 AM
  •  is there a reason for not giving the user the option to turn on/off this function..

Friday, July 20, 2007 1:26 PM
  • I don't know the official reason but from personal experience I can understand why this is not an option. I have two children in their early 30's who are smart, well educated, successful and have been using PCs longer than I have. Neither has ever initiated a virus scan, run the disc defragmenter, deleted unnecessary files, or performed a backup. My guess is that they are very typical computer users. Since installing One Care I am no longer the IT guy, but plain old dad when I visit them. I like being plain old dad.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 2:22 PM
  • I for one find the option NOT to disable Tune-Up to be one of the major reasons why I avoid WLOC at this time.
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 10:22 AM
  • I can agree with that, but also think that you can't customize it the way You want it is the biggest thing.
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 2:27 PM
  • i know a lot of people who don't want to use it for the same reason too...

Sunday, July 22, 2007 3:49 AM
  • I agree this is one of the main complaints I have with WLOC:

1. The automated defrag and disk clean up are a nice idea but already available as manual operations. Why not allow these to be scheduled at separate times with an option for 'never'? Defrag can take a long time (hours) when you want to do some work on the computer.

2. Antivirus scans are far too slow - 3 times longer than Zonelabs ISS which I just dumped because the current version delays start up/shut down by 5 minutes. 2 hours AV scanning is way too long. Think of the effect on the climate of the wasted electricity!!!

3. No support for Windows 2000 so I don't need 3 licenses

4. WLOC failed some of the standard AV scan tests. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6418965.stm Hopefully that'll be fixed soon!

On the plus side the start/shut down time is almost the same as without AV

Sunday, July 22, 2007 9:40 PM
  •  

I have a reason why the tune-up should be allowed to be disabled.  Defrag gives me the BSOD everytime it runs and I have not been able to resolve the issue.  Until I do, I'd like to disable defrag.  Another reason, which is similar to one of the other posters, is that I have a large HD and it takes a long time to run.  I'd rather receive a reminder, then choose to do it myself.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:41 PM
  • Obviously, what you need resolved is the BSOD during a Defrag. I don't disagree with the need to be able to configure portions of a Tune-up, but I think that a total disable isn't really needed. With the exception of your BSOD issues, if Tune-up starts when you don't want it to, stop it. It will try again later. You can start it manually yourself earlier.

-steve

Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:29 PM
  • why whould the total disable isn't really needed.?

if you can disable the firewall , you should be able to disable tune-up

Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:55 PM
  • You've got a point, but I would rather like to customize it - because - that's a way you could disable it too, but in any case have only what you wanted OC to do. The best would be to have in "the new window" a box at the bottom with the choices: "Enabled", "Disabled". (Nothing is run.) Which means both of them being included. I've never seen why you've a schedule for Anti-Malware separately too anyway.

Okay, maybe I should note that the really best () would be to have Automatic Tune-Up - in other words - Tune-Up as the PC is idle, then stop when you continue to use it (move the mouse, type on the keyboard), resume the process again. You probably get what I mean. Ofcourse with the things being done of your choice. Norton 360 is supposed to operate that (awesome) way. Atleast the idea is excellent.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:32 PM
  • I have been reading posts for months about Onecare tuneup and not being able to atleast disable it.  I am a user of a program called Rollback Rx which allows me to test any software and keep it in different snapshots.  So if something goes wrong with an install and the system can not boot.  I can boot into a earlier snapshot of my system and the problem/program is gone.  I can have as many snapshots as I want each with different set ups.  RX will defrag its snapshots and optomize your current snapshot, after a certain amount which you set yourself thru settings.  One of the system warnings is that it tells you to do not defrag your system and here is where I have a problem with Onecare.

I completely understand why you can not turn off the Turn off Tune up function but there should be a way to disable the defrag!  So my options are either keep using RX and not install Onecare or vise versa.  Both are needed but Rollback has saved my bacon to many times to count.  For now I will wait and hope that in the future someone will come to there senses about beable to disable the defrag.

Thanks,

PS. To many of my friends have passed on Onecare becasuse of this issue about defrag for varing reasons.
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 12:06 PM
  • Thanks for sharing this Ptah13. Another good reason why we need to be able to disable Defrag in Tune-up.

-steve

Sunday, July 29, 2007 3:19 AM
  •  Ptah13 wrote:
    I have been reading posts for months about Onecare tuneup and not being able to atleast disable it.  I am a user of a program called Rollback Rx which allows me to test any software and keep it in different snapshots.  So if something goes wrong with an install and the system can not boot.  I can boot into a earlier snapshot of my system and the problem/program is gone.  I can have as many snapshots as I want each with different set ups.  RX will defrag its snapshots and optomize your current snapshot, after a certain amount which you set yourself thru settings.  One of the system warnings is that it tells you to do not defrag your system and here is where I have a problem with Onecare.

I completely understand why you can not turn off the Turn off Tune up function but there should be a way to disable the defrag!  So my options are either keep using RX and not install Onecare or vise versa.  Both are needed but Rollback has saved my bacon to many times to count.  For now I will wait and hope that in the future someone will come to there senses about beable to disable the defrag.

Thanks,

PS. To many of my friends have passed on Onecare becasuse of this issue about defrag for varing reasons.

I agree with you completely because i'm in the same situation and if i have to choose between Rollback Rx and OC I'll take the Rollback Rx anytime.

I hope so too OC get's Updated to allow turning off the defrag so we can keep both programs on as my OC Subscription will be ending in 11/05/08

Saturday, March 1, 2008 3:04 PM
  • I am using the automatic defragmentation option of Diskeeper, that constantly defrags in the background during idle time. I trust Diskeeper's defrag logic more than I do WLOC's....  for me, this will be the reason why I will not renew my WLOC subscription. I think WLOC is great for non-techical users, as it requires very little user interaction or decision making. But for more experienced users, WLOC should offer an advanced mode where you can tweak it to your liking. I only need the anti-virus/spyware portion, so I'll go for Avira or Kaspersky instead.

Sunday, June 8, 2008 5:09 PM
  • I don't disagree with the need to be able to configure portions of a Tune-up, but I think that a total disable isn't really needed.

I'm still waiting for a response to vbnetway's question: what is the reason you think "a total disable isn't really needed"?

There is never a good reason to bypass the user's preference to disable a feature or an app. To only allow the user to decide "when" is a little like the Forbin Project (the very least that could be done is to display a warning message so the user could opt-out at that point). Not to rail against Microsoft because I appreciate the advent of a tool like OneCare, but this is typically where Microsoft has failed in the realm of user experience: "we have an app that can do some very cool things but we didn't really take the end user into consideration when we designed some of the features because _______________ (insert time constraint, resource constraint, budget constraint, etc here)."

I have to say I was excited about installing OneCare and getting a better performance out of my system, but it looks like if I want to feel comfortable about it I'll have to go back to the old fashioned way. I guess I shouldn't have expected an automatic process to be without some dictatorial behaviour. It seems like everything it does I can do on my own anyway...it was just the appeal fo having it more centralized.

Oh well...until someone actually comes up with something that is appropriate to the way I work with and deal with my computer, I'll have to pass on OnceCare.

Monday, June 9, 2008 3:23 PM
  • Disabling Tune-up defeats the purpose of OneCare. I'm sorry to say that OneCare is not the solution for someone who feels that totally disabling Tune-up is needed. Tune-up is the only scheduled time that a complete virus and spyware scan is performed. I do believe that we should be able to disable Defrag, though, in favor of a 3rd party program or no Defrag at all as this does not impact system stability or security. It can help performance, but only minimally in most cases.

-steve

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:38 PM
  •  

My tune-up just took 42 hours to finish. I have a large storage capacity (nearly 2TB in total) and the AV scan and defragmenter take too long to finish: 42 hours to be precise this last time.

This feature might be nice for your average consumer with basic OS install and few applications (under 25-30GB total) but for me, I have 1.7 million files spread across several RAID setups.

42 hours is about 40 hours more than I want to put up with.

No way to disable the auto tune up or the auto AV scan?

Monday, September 8, 2008 9:52 PM
  • Farallon, assuming that the 42 hours was mostly spent by OneCare scanning the drives for malware, you can configure the virus and spyware settings to exclude entire drives. I assume that much of your storage may be attached external drives and scanning these can be very slow.

-steve

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:52 PM
  • No. I had no external USB/Firewire/eSATA devices connected at the time. Scanning same files (give or take a 100MB or so) with Kaspersky's AVPTool took 8 hours and only little bit over 5 hours with Avast scanner.

I just completed an AV scan with OneCare of my secondary backup RAID0 setup (2x160GB SATAII disks in RAID0, 320GB total out of which 266GB are used up). It took 13 hours.

Also I have encountered few bugs over the last few days, many with AV scanner. I have validated this one here submitted by a third party back in 2006:

https://connect.microsoft.com/onecare/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=242991&wa=wsignin1.0

Another issue is if you leave the AV scan window open once its finished doing a complete scan (I left mine for about 15 minutes) and by chance the scheduled auto tune-up started at that same time... well, it will lock up the scanner. Hilarious that the automatic tune-up cannot figure out that it already has a AV scan in session (albeit completed)

I'm using the 90 trial version of OneCare. Do I have to pay/subscribe to get a fully patched version or something?

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:28 AM
  • The trial and the subscriber version are identical.

I know that the scanner is a bit slower than other competing products, but your experience shows that it is much slower. If there's no conflicting software running, that's unfortunate. Note that anything that monitors file access in any way could potentially impact the scanner,- perhaps even a RAID setup that is working to keep a mirror of your files on two different physical drives.

-steve

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:40 PM
  • Antivirus and Spayware scan is needed.  But my Laptop has a SSD Drive.  so I do not need Disk Defrag.  Actually, running defrag on a SSD Drive reduces its life significantly.  So I switched to Trend Micro.

Until Windows Live One Care allows Defragmention to be disabled it will be a bad choice for users with SSD drives.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 4:54 PM
  •  MIT Serve wrote:

Antivirus and Spayware scan is needed.  But my Laptop has a SSD Drive.  so I do not need Disk Defrag.  Actually, running defrag on a SSD Drive reduces its life significantly.  So I switched to Trend Micro.

Until Windows Live One Care allows Defragmention to be disabled it will be a bad choice for users with SSD drives.

Have a look here:

Disable Defrag (registry edit) http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3031338&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, October 13, 2008 6:27 PM