none
Copy Paste not working in Question Body RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I just tried to post a long answer, after writing it for 3 mins when I tried posting  it it gave unexpected error. I opened the thread in new window copied my text and tried pasting but it is not getting pasted. This has happened with me multiple times both in Chrome and IE. Please look into this urgently. I am quite sure I am not doing any mistake

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:28 AM

Answers

• I couldn't agree more about the waste of time. I have not seen the "unexpected" error from Submit button for a long time but when I'm composing a longer reply I always try to remember to do it in notepad rather than relying on the chance of browser crash or the unexpected / unhandled error in reply editor. You can report the issue you're seeing here using the TechNet Web Site Support and Feedback links.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/cc512759.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:26 PM

All replies

• I have had similar experiences. For me the solution was to restart the computer. Invariably, I discovered that the computer was getting an update. The strange behavior seemed to be related to the update process.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 11:53 AM
  • Are you able to paste that text into, say, Word or Notepad?

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 12:01 PM
  • My recollection when I had this experience is that I could not paste into Notepad. I think I actually printed a screenshot of my reply so I didn't have to reinvent the wheel after I restarted, although I had to retype everything. I also believe this happened to me more than once.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 1:19 PM
  • Are you able to paste that text into, say, Word or Notepad?

My blog

My TechNet articles

Yes the paste works just fine in Word and Text pad

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 3:18 PM
  • At least you save your answer and can restore it this way.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 3:18 PM
  • At least you save your answer and can restore it this way.
    Let me explain the issue there are 2 issues here sometimes when I type answer on thread by dropping it down and try to submit it it will not work giving unexpected error in yellow color or would simply just not save and return same window, this forces me to open complete question windows and try to copy and paste answer there and it does not work so I have to type it again. So I am back to square one and have to type whole big answer again which is waste of time

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 6:34 PM
  • I couldn't agree more about the waste of time. I have not seen the "unexpected" error from Submit button for a long time but when I'm composing a longer reply I always try to remember to do it in notepad rather than relying on the chance of browser crash or the unexpected / unhandled error in reply editor. You can report the issue you're seeing here using the TechNet Web Site Support and Feedback links.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/cc512759.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:26 PM
  • Many years ago when I first began using the MSDN forums the software was even more unreliable so I was in the habit of writing replies and questions in a separate editor and then copying and pasting so that I would not waste my time when the forum software malfunctions.

Currently I use two options for creating posts when I want to have a better editor and/or I want to protect myself from losing my work. I sometimes use HTML Tidy - Online Markup Corrector (there are other sites like it) because it is capable of removing extraneous markup and it has advantages in the editing. I also have a file that I edit using Expression Blend that I re-use for temporarily creating posts and I can save my work that way in case my system crashes.

I have probably had the problem described here but if so then it has been a while since I have.

Microsoft has a tendency to say to delete all cookies. They refuse to be specific about what specific cookiies to delete. Back when the forums were less stable I learned what specific cookies need to be removed to fix a problem they had for a long time but Microsoft refused to provide that information in their work-around instructions. Here is something to try that might solve problems but I think the problem solved for me using this was a sign-in problem. In the debugger tools (F12) go to the debugger tab and you will see cookies in the left. You can delete just the cookies for Microsoft and that might help.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:29 PM
  • I had similar issues myself a while back.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 12:12 PM

Dave the problem here itself is paste not working in answer body I myself sometimes use notepad/word to draft answer and spell check and then paste, the issue is paste is not working. I will try to raise the issue via concerned link. But I would appreciate if this thread is not be closed by marking answer it should be only done when this is fixed.

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, May 4, 2018 6:35 AM
  • That's fine (I changed type for now) I wouldn't hold a lot of hope though as finding a way to reproduce the conditions seems problematic. If it does happen a lot for you then you might be able to capture something useful / relevant using IE or chrome debugging tools.

Friday, May 4, 2018 1:40 PM
  • But I would appreciate if this thread is not be closed by marking answer it should be only done when this is fixed.

I agree this should be a discussion. The answer should not be dependent on an external event. A suggestion to report it (that post) might be a valid answer but the event of the external event occurring is not an answer.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, May 4, 2018 7:03 PM