Virus lock out RRS feed

• Question

• This is only the tip of the iceberg, but I need to start somewhere with solving a major computer problem.

Long story short - during the installation of an automatic downloaded update of Microsoft Office 2007 my ACER ASPIRE 5720 Vista Home Premium laptop showed all the signs and symptoms of viral attack - it returned to the log in screen I logged in, it then returned to the log on screen three more times without me doing anything. I force quit, restarted, Windows loaded, but not all the drivers, message said file NTFS.sys was missing and to restart with original disk and use repair option.

The ACER came preloaded so no original disk, but I have the ACER restore to factory default DVDs, but > boot priority > showed no option to change the boot priority order to enable a DVD start up. So I was locked out.

I contacted ACER who said if I was not able to force the DVD drive using FN+F8 then the boot option on the CPU might be corrupted, and to return the computer. 

My question is to ask if  there anyway I can access the ACER, to return it to factory settings, and so avoid paying ACER $200 plus for this service
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 3:12 AM

Answers

• "spug cord" wrote in message news:64750993-b4e9-48d1-9bf4-37467859c9e5...
    This is only the tip of the iceberg, but I need to start somewhere with solving a major computer problem.

Long story short - during the installation of an automatic downloaded update of Microsoft Office 2007 my ACER ASPIRE 5720 Vista Home Premium laptop showed all the signs and symptoms of viral attack - it returned to the log in screen I logged in, it then returned to the log on screen three more times without me doing anything. I force quit, restarted, Windows loaded, but not all the drivers, message said file NTFS.sys was missing and to restart with original disk and use repair option.

The ACER came preloaded so no original disk, but I have the ACER restore to factory default DVDs, but > boot priority > showed no option to change the boot priority order to enable a DVD start up. So I was locked out.

I contacted ACER who said if I was not able to force the DVD drive using FN+F8 then the boot option on the CPU might be corrupted, and to return the computer. 

My question is to ask if  there anyway I can access the ACER, to return it to factory settings, and so avoid paying ACER $200 plus for this service

That sounds odd to me - but this is the wrong forum for a solution.
    Please repost your query in the Win Vista System Repair forum here....

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 7:50 AM

All replies

• "spug cord" wrote in message news:64750993-b4e9-48d1-9bf4-37467859c9e5...
    This is only the tip of the iceberg, but I need to start somewhere with solving a major computer problem.

That sounds odd to me - but this is the wrong forum for a solution.
    Please repost your query in the Win Vista System Repair forum here....

--

Sunday, June 5, 2011 7:50 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. I cannot find a way to post at the forum you suggested, probably my fault as I am not familiar with Microsoft forums, but thankyou anyway.
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 11:29 PM
  • "spug cord" wrote in message news:a36063e1-2a59-44c5-90f8-66a6927ca75b...
    Thank you for your reply. I cannot find a way to post at the forum you suggested, probably my fault as I am not familiar with Microsoft forums, but thankyou anyway.

Simply access the link I gave, and sign in with your LiveID - click on 'Ask a question' and enter search terms for your query. Click on Search - if no relevant answers come up, click on the 'Post a Question' button at the bottom of the page.

--

Monday, June 6, 2011 8:15 AM