none
Painfully slow!!! Extremely Distracting

General discussion

• I personally did not like the new MSDN Forums at all!!!

Apart from being extremely slow (due to excessive javascript i believe), I find the UI & Graphics too distracting. I am a active member of around, say 10-15 forums (including that of Sun Devlper Forums & MySql etc.), which I regularly use to discuss my developement problems.

I was (and reamin) a die-hard fan of old MSDN forums, and used to praise them everywhere. The major reason being, its straight-forward, no-nonsense appearance.

It was extremely user-friendly to figure out information on the screen, move forward & back between threads. On pages with say 10-15 replies, it was very easy to jump to prevous replies, have a quick look at them to see which way the discussion was moving.

The new UI makes all these tasks non-intuitive, and too-much straining on eyes. While moving up & down between replies, those greyish & greenish top-right boxes cause too much distraction. Ditto with those medallions.

To make a long story short, I would say that these UI features look nice for a normal user browsing a site, like they appear good on Microsoft's Home page, and Product Pages. On developer forums, deveopers are really looking for solutions, and these things that cause distractions, and are detrimental to overall productivity (not counting those long page download times).
    Friday, June 13, 2008 10:33 AM

All replies

• Absolutely.

The load times on these pages are so painfully unreliably slow it's mind-blowing.

Brandon Legault
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:55 PM
  • I agree 100%.  I can't even type in a post without it stopping completely to deal with that evil live updating.
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:05 PM
  • How is perf today? We made a number of improvements with the release yesterday. Also, are you getting poor performance all the time or is it intermittent?

Thanks for the feedback, and please keep it coming. Performance and reliability are our first priority.
    Forums Product Planner, Andrew.Brenner at Microsoft.com
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:39 PM
  • How about a way to subscribe to groups, instead of being bombarded by every stinking group on earth? If this replaces NNTP, it'll be by force and not by choice.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:55 PM
  • Ken you want a way to subscribe to a group of what, I'm not sure I understand?

Sam Jarawan Social Platform Forums - Senior Development Lead
    Friday, June 20, 2008 4:52 PM
  • I'm guessing he wants to only see the forum categories that he's interested in. When you guys implement persistent collapsible forum-categories, it'd probably do what he (and I) wants.
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 1:25 AM
  • Andrew Brenner said:

How is perf today? We made a number of improvements with the release yesterday. Also, are you getting poor performance all the time or is it intermittent?

Sorry Andrew, I thought this thread had no replies, as I got no notification. It was today that I realized that notifications were by default off in new Forums.

Yes, the speed has improved much these days. But the point of distraction still remains. Too-much graphics & striking colors tend too take away the attention from the content. Atleast I have to put in efforts to keep concentrating on thread content.

The plain-old white still rocks for me!!!
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 3:51 AM
  • The old forum was and is a piece of ____.

But this new forum is not perfect either. This new one is somewhat distracting because of fancy looks and this new one is slow. When I click submit, looks like nothing happens. Then after I click more times, it sends the post. I don't know yet is it just slow or don't it accept the first click.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 7:09 AM
  • Ditto here!!!

And speed still is major problem. Hurts productivity, the main mantra of MS products these days
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:51 AM
  • Looks like the click problem is due to Ajax. A hidden request is being sent, and as there is no visual feedback (like a progress bar used in Ajax requests in DotNetNuke), users tend to believe Nothing is happening.

These forums need much improvement. But the most major I would recommend are improving speed & lightening graphics & colors used, so that developers can concentrate on more major objectives.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:54 AM
  • We are definitely always looking at ways to increase performance. That said, even with a lot of tweaking, there will be times that something takes a second, so I agree, we need to provide more feedback that we registered your click and we're doing something...
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:18 PM
  • When I select next page in a thread list, it seems like its extremely slow and confusing. That is because it first jumps to the start of the page, waits couple of seconds, and only then refreshes the page. It would be better that it first refreshed the page and then jumped to the start, because the jump is instantenous. That way I would not mistake jumping to the start being that the page is now loaded when it isn't.
    Monday, July 7, 2008 6:58 AM
  • Agreed
    Older one is 100 or 1000 times better then this one.

Kamran Shahid,(MCSD.NET)
    Monday, July 7, 2008 11:41 AM
  • This site seems to load something while I write a post. I see that as my writing halts and I type some more letters and then they appear suddenly. I am not sure what causes that, but network seems to load something too once in a while. That halting of writing feels annoying. Plus sending posts and posting in general feels slow too now.
    Monday, July 7, 2008 4:52 PM
  • We've just about wrapped up our latest incremental release and it should be going live in the next few days. This mostly centered around visual updates and a few requested features.

Our next dev cycle, which we'll begin this week, is focusing on performance and scalability.

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Monday, July 7, 2008 8:07 PM