Extracting meta data from a email msg file. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I am looking for a powershell solution. I have a business need to save outlook emails (.msg files) to a document library and somehow extract the metadata from it. Metadata includes display name of the user who sent the email, email address, subject, attachment and body. Have you worked on anything like this before? Perhaps some other form of document? 
    I haven't built anything like this before so as I googled (and binged) and came across the below link. After you cutomize the file location, the script does run but doesn't give any results. If and when this script will work, I need to figure out a way to export it as a txt or csv file. Has any built such a script? If not then can you take a look at this powershell script and make any suggestions? 

https://jls3tech.wordpress.com/2013/09/21/msgextract-ps1-parses-metadata-of-msg-files/ 

Thanks in advance. 

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:00 PM This is not "research solution and write script for me" forum
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 12:01 AM

All replies

• You are best to get the "metadata" from the message before exporting it.

You will not find any scripts to do this as it is very much a custom request.

What kind of document library are you referring to.  If you mean SharePoint then there are many SharePoint add-ins that can display emails and their associated data.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, March 5, 2015 10:41 AM