How are Virtual Disks Protected? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've installed VMWare Workstation 6.0 on my computer and installed Vista 32 bit as the guest operating system and the host is Vista 64 bit.  Is this virutal disk protected by the host operating system using One Care, or do I need to add it to my One Care circle?  Also, if more virutal disks are added to my computer does each virutal disk need to be added to the Windows Live one Care circle? 

Just wondering!

Thursday, July 17, 2008 2:14 AM

Answers

• I moved your post out of the Off Topic folder where you posted.

Virtual disks are not scanned by OneCare from the host OS. By installing an operating system on the virtual disk, you have a PC within a PC and must install protection on the Virtual PC. If you install OneCare, it uses up one of your allowed 3 licenses for your subscription since it is a PC, albeit virtual, just as installing an operating system on that Virtual PC requires that the operating system be licensed with its own product key.

-steve

Friday, July 18, 2008 1:03 PM

All replies

• I moved your post out of the Off Topic folder where you posted.

Virtual disks are not scanned by OneCare from the host OS. By installing an operating system on the virtual disk, you have a PC within a PC and must install protection on the Virtual PC. If you install OneCare, it uses up one of your allowed 3 licenses for your subscription since it is a PC, albeit virtual, just as installing an operating system on that Virtual PC requires that the operating system be licensed with its own product key.

-steve

Friday, July 18, 2008 1:03 PM
  • I accept your answer, but I have another problem.  I am only allowed to have three computers in my circle.  I have removed one backup record set that has been labelled 2008, 2008A, and 2008B.  I still have these records on my external hard drive, but I don't know how to access them.  The records for that PC are compressed on an external hard drive where I back all my records too. Even with ownership rights to take over the backup sets, I have unable to open those records because they are compressed. I am looking for some particular documents that I need from perhaps those three different backups. 

I plan is to open up all the records, safe what I want, and delete the remained.  I have no need to keep records from four different computers. The records I want to get into are from another computer I am no longer using.  I built a new computer and now I need to get those records open and then delete what I don't need any longer. 

If you know of a document I can read in the knowledge base, please point me to that document. Please, email me at goodshepherd@nctc.net

Friday, July 18, 2008 6:08 PM
  • If you used OneCare, you can use the "restore files from another computer" option by running the restore wizard and pointing to the folder on the external drive, then searching for the specific files you wish to restore.

If you want to do it manually or after the restore you wish to delete the old backups, see this post for how to take ownership of the folder and files and ultimately be able to delete the folders.  http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1698096&SiteID=2

If you wish to extract the files manually, the backups can be opened in Winzip or other program that can read archive .zip files. If any of the files you wish to extract are split between zip files, you will need to use a 3rd party tool to re-join them, 

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/ will do the trick.

-steve

Friday, July 18, 2008 6:56 PM