motherboard upgrade? RRS feed

• Question

• ok my parents have had a hp pavillion for a few years now. and the motherboard has recently taken a dump, they refuse(note absolutely refuse) to get a new computer or pay for a new copy of windows.  is there any way i can use there old windows key and their disk of winxp. it is a genuine copy. they are comfortable with this setup, or layout of this computer and dont want to change it.

it seems that this subject has been tackled before in this forum, but all the mods and know-it-alls kinda tip toe around the answer, so what is it?  can you or can you not use your windows key on a different computer if the motherboard is irreplaceable other than by an upgrade, i mean if it is a valid key you probably can but will it validate can i do it that is what i am asking can i upgrade this computer so they get there precious stuff back? or are they kinda up a shits creek without a paddle?

- confused and frustrated in iowa

ps i didnt mean to cuss, i am just up to here with it

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:54 AM

Answers

• Hey Tinkerer :-),

Thank you for providing the information. Unfortunately product keys are specific to the particular verison. The product key can only be used on the HP OEM SLP bits installed by HP @ the time they built the system. Curious what version of Windows did  your brother purchase for you and is it an upgrade or full version? 

Call the telephone activation center supporting your geographic region located in the following KB article: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Explain your parents situation and how the OEM motherboard has failed and out of warantee. Let them know you intend to install an used motherboard and ask them the possibilities for an activation override. Honestly activation issues fall outside the support scope for Windows Genuine Advantage. Maybe you can receive assistance this way. 

Next try and backup all their date by slaving out their drive to another system. Then you can burn it to a DVD or CD Burner. I wish you the best of luck here and not to loose any date.

Side note Tinkerer under NO circumstances should anyone try to download/distribute ISO images for software from a P2P file sharing site or use a second-hand burned copies of software. Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and other potentially harmful malware. One file in particular was very alarming.  This file was an administrator account giving the attacker full control over both your system and data.  I would be very concerned about your system integrity because Windows is non-genuine. I have read some interesting articles regarding this and not good :(. 

Take care and hopefully I was able to point you in a positive direction for resolution.

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, January 30, 2009 12:48 AM
    Friday, January 30, 2009 12:48 AM

All replies

• Tinkerer1027,

The license for Windows XP that came with your parents' HP computer is valid ONLY on that computer and NO OTHER COMPUTER.

In order to continue to use their HP OEM license for XP, they must repair the HP computer using a replacement motherboard from HP.  If none are available directly from HP, you may be able to find a new and/or used replacement on eBay or using an internet search engine.

An OEM license for Windows dies when the computer onto which it is first installed dies.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:34 AM
  • hey thank you. that was straight forward answer, and that is what i needed to hear
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:07 AM
  • Tinkerer,

Thank you for contacting us here in the forums :-). Curious how old is your parents computer? Also is there any warantee remaning whatsoever and if so have you tried to contact HP for any resolution? Unfortunately Tinkerer the short answer is you can not transfer the licensing and use XP on another computer. Manufacturers use OEM SLP versions of Windows. Here is a technical definition: 

OEM-SLP: Computers built by large commercial manufacturers that come with Vista Pre-installed come with two (2) Product Keys; SLP and COA Key.  SLP stands for System Locked Pre-install. OEM manufacturer’s add an OEM identifier string to the system BIOS during manufacturing. Windows verifies this identifier during the boot process. In this way the end user will not be required to activate Windows. The OEM SLP Key is geared to work with the special instructions found on that Manufacturer’s computer hardware.  The Product Key is available on the COA sticker and not installed in the computer. For example all DELL OEM SLP Windows Vista systems use a single product key but the COA sticker on the machine contains the unique COA. The key located on the COA sticker should only be used in limited situations and requires telephone activation. Example should you require to reformate the computer the key from the COA sticker would be used. 

You may try and call the activation telephone number and request an over ride. Explain what you experienced with a hardware failure. There are some considerations with replacing the system motherboard into the pre existing system.  You The problem may be other components may not be plug and play. Unfortunately if you build a complete new system then you won't be able to use the OEM SLP XP. Hopefully I have been able to offer some assistance.

Take care,

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Proposed as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:47 PM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:58 AM
  • stephen,

my parents computer is a hp pavillion a700y

with a celeron D and 512megs

which is a decent computer or at least good enough for their measly uses such as playing solitaire and using office and internet, etc ad infintum. BUT, it is old, i dont want to put m/b in this computer that is as old and used for obvious reasons. i did try to run down a new replacement but that turned up null.  See, myself, I am a linux user, like my user name i prefer to tinker. no knock on windows i dont want a flame war, i am just looking for answers. i do on the other hand have a windows xp shelf copy from the walmart my brother purchased years ago for his own computer and was wondering if i could use that to install on top and use my parents key from the COA on the case. seems like i cant though and they are being bullheaded about upgrading, cost aside they are just in a comfy groove with this box. i do have a plug and play m/b with a athlon xp 2500 plus that i was going to stick in it if i could get anywhere with this thread, but it isnt worth losing all there data in the process of running an illegal copy of windows(which is another reason i use linux free is good for me....)

but hey even if there is no way around this thanks stephen for taking time in this thread to help me out

tinkerer

ps they refuse to use linux, something about it being evil whatever lol

Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:45 PM
  • Hey Tinkerer :-),

Thank you for providing the information. Unfortunately product keys are specific to the particular verison. The product key can only be used on the HP OEM SLP bits installed by HP @ the time they built the system. Curious what version of Windows did  your brother purchase for you and is it an upgrade or full version? 

Call the telephone activation center supporting your geographic region located in the following KB article: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Explain your parents situation and how the OEM motherboard has failed and out of warantee. Let them know you intend to install an used motherboard and ask them the possibilities for an activation override. Honestly activation issues fall outside the support scope for Windows Genuine Advantage. Maybe you can receive assistance this way. 

Next try and backup all their date by slaving out their drive to another system. Then you can burn it to a DVD or CD Burner. I wish you the best of luck here and not to loose any date.

Side note Tinkerer under NO circumstances should anyone try to download/distribute ISO images for software from a P2P file sharing site or use a second-hand burned copies of software. Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and other potentially harmful malware. One file in particular was very alarming.  This file was an administrator account giving the attacker full control over both your system and data.  I would be very concerned about your system integrity because Windows is non-genuine. I have read some interesting articles regarding this and not good :(. 

Take care and hopefully I was able to point you in a positive direction for resolution.

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, January 30, 2009 12:48 AM
    Friday, January 30, 2009 12:48 AM
  • Tinkerer1027,

Here are the specs for the mobo that came in that computer:  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00068983&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3211293

See if you can scrounge up a new/used motherboard that has a 478 socket and uses the intel 845gv chipset.

(The motherboard you have uses an entirely different processor and chipset, and that's too much of a difference between the old and new, and will definitely require a repair reinstallation just to start into Windows.)

If so, install that motherboard and transfer the processor, RAM and etc.

Start the computer to see if it will boot, and see if it will start into XP.  If it can boot up, it should start into XP.

Now here is where you MAY have to do a repair reinstallation of XP to get it to work correctly with the new hardware.  You will have to use a systembuilder/OEM XP CD (a retail CD will NOT work) that matches the edition of XP previously installed, eg, Home, Pro, etc.  When prompted for the Product Key, use the PK on the CoA on the HP computer and DO NOT use the Pk that came with the CD.  Note that a repair reinstallation of XP is designed to preserve installed programs and user data, but if possible, back up first (I know that's hard to do under the circumstances!).

Finally, after the repair re-installation, do NOT try an automated online Activation, do a Telephonic Activation instead.  If the automated Telephonic Activation is refused, select the option to speak with a live Activation rep.  At this point follow Stephen's advice---tell the activation rep that the motherboard died on the computer, that a genuine HP replacement was not available, and that you used an equivalent generic motherboard for the fix.  Tell them that in order to preserve the installed data and programs you did a repair reinstallation, and that you used a systembuilder/OEM CD along with the PK on the HP computer CoA.  I have done this many times and have never had the activation refused by the rep.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, January 30, 2009 5:49 AM