Save job hangs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

On the production environment at a client site, the save and checkin jobs sometimes hang. Today we saw a Save job in the queue that was in the state "Getting queued" and did not get out of that state anymore. We have experienced more occurences where either the Save of Checkin job did not complete at all. When I looked at the ULS log I could see that the project was being checked out at the time of the save, but I could not find any logging about the Save action.

1. Does anybody have an idea on what can cause the Save job to stay in the state "Getting queued"?

2. What is the best way to come out of this situation without losing data? A force checkin may cause the user to lose his changes.

3. Is restarting the  Microsoft Project Server Queue Service a good idea on a production environment? Is that safe or will I run the risk that other queue jobs will be dropped?

Thanks in advance,

Quint Mouthaan

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Quint,

1.  Getting queued means that data is flowing from the client to the server, but the save to the queue has not completed.  This may be due to the client having shut down, gone off line or ceased to communicate in some way. 

2.  It will only ever complete if the client comes back on line and connects to Project Server.

3.  Re-starting will not lose any jobs, but it will also not generally solve this type of issue.  Restarting might make sense if you are seeing some huge spike in memory usage, but the "getting queued" is really a connectivity problem.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 8:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Quint,

1.  Getting queued means that data is flowing from the client to the server, but the save to the queue has not completed.  This may be due to the client having shut down, gone off line or ceased to communicate in some way. 

2.  It will only ever complete if the client comes back on line and connects to Project Server.

3.  Re-starting will not lose any jobs, but it will also not generally solve this type of issue.  Restarting might make sense if you are seeing some huge spike in memory usage, but the "getting queued" is really a connectivity problem.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Hi all,

While trying to save the project to the server the client behaves itself as follows:

Pressing ‘Save’ button starts the operation with message ‘Saving [project name]’ in the status bar. When this message disappears there are no further actions happen.  Saving time is equal to the time of saving the project into local file. The task of project saving doesn’t appear on the project server. Second pressing of ‘Save’ button starts operation with message ‘Saving [project name]’ in the status bar. When this operation ends the message ‘Synchronizing data to server…’ appears in the status bar. Pressing the mouse button in such state of the client puts Project Professional 2010 into ‘Not Responding ’ state. Then application can be closed only by closing WINPROJ.EXE task in the task manager.

Second pressing of the ‘Save’ button leads to complete hanging of the client, server receives the task in the queue. The state of this task is ‘Getting Queued’ and can’t be changed. It’s only possible to cancel the task.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 2:30 PM
  • Hi agreen,

I haven't seen the behavior you describe.  Might be worth trying a repair on Project Professional 2010.  Do you have good connectivity with the server?  Do you see any errors in the event log?  Are you giving it time to recover from the "not responding" state?

Best regards,

Brian.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 2:39 PM
  • I try to save project from PC with 100 mb/s connectivity with the server. I try to save the same project from application server of the farm, where Microsoft Project Server Queue Service is running. There are no errors in the event log. I wait for a more than 24 hours to recover from the "not responding" state of my client and to change state of save job.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Did the save also fail on the server agreen?  I'm guessing so as you said you try to save.  This would tend to rule out any issues with your local cache.  Are other project saves working ok?  If so then it certainly seems to be very project specific.  Is it very large or complex?

Best regards,

Brian.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 3:01 PM
  • Yes, when I try to save problem project from server I have the same problem.
    The problem appears with other projects as well. Projects have 500+ tasks, project duration is around 1 year.
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 3:14 PM
  • It may be just a data issue in those specific projects.  Is there any anti-virus software that might be cuasing an issue with the local cache saves or reads?  What is the history of the server?  Fresh 2010 install?  Upgrade from 2007?

Best regards,

Brian.

Monday, October 11, 2010 7:52 PM
  • My project server was migrated from 2007 using manual "Database-attach full upgrade to Project Server 2010" (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662500.aspx ). Migration finished without errors. On my project server there are about 100 active projects. The problem was occurred with the projects, that were migrated.

There are no anti-virus software installed on my desktop and servers.

MCSA
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:50 PM
  • Are you still in Backwards Compatibility Mode on that server?  If not then did you update the Enterprise Global when you switched it off?

Best regards,

Brian.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:33 PM
  • My project server had worked in Backwards Compatibility Mode two weeks after migration. After switched it off I opened Enterprise Global template in Project Professional, changed field length in Gantt Chart view and saved it to the server.

The problem with project's save functionality was occurred when I switched off Backwards Compatibility Mode.

If I can't save  project after first pressing save button then I try save it using 'Save for sharing' feature. But when I save local copy of this project to server, all task's and assignment's GUIDs are changed...   I have written about this there: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/projectserver2010general/thread/d0432e13-d403-4d59-be71-3dc5e895fc1b

MCSA
    Monday, October 18, 2010 10:31 AM