I removed Onecare but firewall wont go away! I used the cleaner also RRS feed

• Question

•  

I was not satisfied with onecare so i canceled my subscription.  I removed the program and got a ton of problems.  The instant i removed and restared my cd buring drive was gone from "my computer" window and would not autorun.  Also i have been having netwoork connection problems with my modem and nvidia nforce network controller getting "limited conectivity".  I restored to before Onecare was removed and it was fine, back to normal.  I now have the program removed and want to install webroot firewall and it tells me Onecare firewall is on.  I go into firewall under control panel and turn off the firewall and it tells me that the windows live Onecare firewall has been turned off.  It shouldn't be on there in the first place.  I uninstalled it completly and in the search function there is no files on my computer for Onecare.  I even used the Onecare cleaner and it still does it.  HOW DO I REMOVE IT! PLEASE HELP!!!
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 3:47 AM

Answers

• System Restore likely replaced the WMI repository with an old version that still contains the registration for the OneCare Firewall. Check to see if the OneCare Firewall is listed in the Security Center. If it is, you will probably need to rebuild the WMI repository to clear the registration. We found that deleting the WMI repository seems to work when a missing antivirus program is still reported in the Security Center in this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2943165&SiteID=2

It seems probable that the same would hold true for a missing firewall. The method of deleting the repository provided by Tech Support in the above thread is also applicable in Windows XP. If you find the command line interface somewhat intimidating, you can use Steve’s “Method A” from this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2

Steve’s thread is targeted at the case where the Security Center fails to report a program (OneCare) that has been installed, but rebuilding the repository also seems to resolve the case where the Security Center continues to report the presence of a program that has been uninstalled. Rebuilding the repository should only be done if the appropriate cleanup tool fails to resolve this issue.

GreginMich

Sunday, June 15, 2008 3:52 PM

All replies

• I suggest contacting support for assistance. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Sunday, June 15, 2008 1:47 PM
  • System Restore likely replaced the WMI repository with an old version that still contains the registration for the OneCare Firewall. Check to see if the OneCare Firewall is listed in the Security Center. If it is, you will probably need to rebuild the WMI repository to clear the registration. We found that deleting the WMI repository seems to work when a missing antivirus program is still reported in the Security Center in this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2943165&SiteID=2

It seems probable that the same would hold true for a missing firewall. The method of deleting the repository provided by Tech Support in the above thread is also applicable in Windows XP. If you find the command line interface somewhat intimidating, you can use Steve’s “Method A” from this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2

Steve’s thread is targeted at the case where the Security Center fails to report a program (OneCare) that has been installed, but rebuilding the repository also seems to resolve the case where the Security Center continues to report the presence of a program that has been uninstalled. Rebuilding the repository should only be done if the appropriate cleanup tool fails to resolve this issue.

GreginMich

Sunday, June 15, 2008 3:52 PM
  •  

Your the man!  Method A worked now i just have to reinstall my antivirus so the firewall recognizes it.

Thanks!

still have aproblem with my Nvidia nforce network card.  It says DHCPServer = 255.255.255.255(Invalid IP Address when i go in and run a network diagnostic.  Any idea on how to fix that?

Sunday, June 15, 2008 5:28 PM
  • Sorry about the delay. I was waiting and hoping that Steve might take a stab at the meaning of the diagnostic line when he reviewed the thread, since I’m generally baffled by the intricacies of network communication protocols. It seems that this particular diagnostic line can be generated by multiple causes including hardware failure, incorrect network settings, a corrupted Winsock, and firewall problems. If you haven’t already, you should first disable the firewall to see if that has any effect. Since Winsock corruption is sometimes associated specifically with “the improper uninstall of firewall applications” you might next want to investigate some of the methods and tools that are available to correct Winsock corruption. Sorry to say, I can’t offer any specific fix for this one.

GreginMich

Monday, June 16, 2008 9:51 PM