none
Intermittent Connections to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I did check around this forum but I didn't find this problem.  Usually it was just the shares missing or no connection at all, ever. My problem is different form those...

I have an HP EX490 with, as far as I know, up to date WHS software.

I have 1 x Vista, 2 x XP laptops, D-Link DSM520 media client, XBox 360, a WD NAS box, an HP C6180 printer and a Macbook on the network.

The Vista and 1 of the XP machines occasionally lose contact with the server.  Completely. Even a ping to the IP address returns nothing. 

They can still surf the internet, get files from the NAS, connect to the printer, just not see the EX490 at all.  Every other device on the network is still talking to the thing.

The EX490 is hardwired to a switch that goes to my router.  I have also connected the EX490 directly to the switch in the Router with no effect.

The two laptops experience the problem whether cabled to the network or wirelessly connected.

They do not have the problem at the same time.

It seems to occur on an approximately hourly basis.  After 15-20 minutes they can see the EX490 again.  It is a pain because I cannot watch a movie from the server all the way through and I have only been able to get one backup to complete before the connection is lost again. I've noticed recently that the connection seems to be missing for several minutes when the laptops first boot.

One thing sets the two problem kids apart: They are both corporate laptops and log into a domain when I'm in the office or using the VPN. But while they can get to everything else on the local LAN, they cannot even ping the EX490.  It makes no sense to me.

Thanks for any advice.  If I should check log files, please be specific.  I can't believe how many log files there are on these things these days. B-)

Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:01 PM

All replies

• Please make sure NETBIOS (file and printer sharing) is enabled and allowed through firewall on clients. In addition please check DHCP lease time on your router, If set to 1 hour please change to 24 or more hours. Alternatively you can set fixed IP address for your server (assign in DHCP settings of your router or set manually on server).

Could also be NIC driver issue (try older or newer drivers) or NIC settings. If you have devices multihomed devices (more than one network adapter) in your network this could also cause issues. If you have (virtual) NIC for VPN connection you may try disabling this one.

If you have Master Browser entries in system eventlogs  around the time the issue occurs please try:

1. Click Start, click Run, and then type services.msc
    2. Right-click the Computer Browser service, and then click Properties.
    3. In the Startup type list, select Manual, and then click OK.
    4. Reboot
    Friday, October 1, 2010 3:16 PM