WHS Restore problems, never finds network device RRS feed

• Question

• So i have restored other laptops using WHS and never had a problem. My mothers laptop's OS (windows 7 home prem) went crazy and i try to do a restore, use the drivers from the last backup on a thumb drive, and still it never finds the network card. I reloaded windows to see if windows would find it, sure enough with a clean windows 7 on the machine i connected fine to the network, but any time i try to restore it  through WHS it never find any network cards....

any ideas?

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:53 PM

Answers

• You have to extract the driver from the exe file to a USB drive. to find out how to extract the driver without installing it (which you don't really want to do) you'd be best off contacting your computer's manufacturer.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by bseal84 Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:51 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:05 PM

All replies

• If your mother's laptop has a 64 bit OS, you'll need to obtain and use 32 bit drivers instead. And if your mother's laptop has a Realtek network interface, you should read through this FAQ .
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:58 PM
  • If your mother's laptop has a 64 bit OS, you'll need to obtain and use 32 bit drivers instead. And if your mother's laptop has a Realtek network interface, you should read through this FAQ .

when i go into the device manager it lists it as "Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)"  however it does say the wireless LAN is a Realtek® 802.11b/g/n wireless LAN, is the a accurate way of telling if its a Realtek or not?     also this is a 32 bit machine....  

Thanks, your help is appricated.

-Brian
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:14 PM
  • You should be able to ignore the wireless network adapter; restoring a home computer over a wireless connection isn't supported.

You can try getting a network driver from the laptop's manufacturer, or (as a practical matter) you can remove the drive temporarily, connect it to some other computer using a USB to SATA (or IDE, depending on the drive) bridge device, and run C:\Program files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe .
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:38 PM
  • do you think installing a  PCMCIA network card would work?
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:54 PM
  • It'll come down to drivers. If you have drivers for it, then it could. Realize, though, that the restore environment is based on WinPE 2.0, the "preinstallation environment" used for Vista. So you'll need Vista drivers for the best chance of success.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 9:31 PM

• ............or (as a practical matter) you can remove the drive temporarily, connect it to some other computer using a USB to SATA (or IDE, depending on the drive) bridge device, and run C:\Program files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe .

is there any forums that might explain how to do this? i'm running out of options here...

thanks,

Brian
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:06 PM
  • Every home computer that's joined to your server includes the program I mentioned. It's the same software that controls a restore on the Home Computer Restore CD, just hsoted in a full Windows environment with functional network drivers. So you would remove the drive from the laptop, connect it to the desktop (or other laptop) using a USB bridge, run that program, and you should be able to restore to the drive. then reinstall it and it should be good to go...
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:15 PM
  • OK ken, i'm an idiot.  I lied this laptop is running on a 64 bit system! however being that i am an idiot i can't figure out how to get the 32 bit driver for Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20).  even when i find the driver i think i'm looking for, it is an exe file and won't allow me to install it on a 64 bit system. if i put the exe file on the thumb drive will it work during the restore?

sorry, i'm kind of all over the place.

hopefully i getting close to a solution though!

thanks,
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:36 PM
  • You have to extract the driver from the exe file to a USB drive. to find out how to extract the driver without installing it (which you don't really want to do) you'd be best off contacting your computer's manufacturer.
    • Marked as answer by bseal84 Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:51 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:05 PM
  • Success!  Toshiba was useless in helping me on the phone. they have an "all in one" driver that includes 64bit and 32bit. i download it and extracted it using WinRAR to the thumb drive and it worked!!!

THANKS for you help!!
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:53 PM