DNSchanger malware RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone found or know of an application to remove a DNSchanger trojan from WHS? I recently got infected with one and Rogers is threatening to suspend my service until I remove it. However, I haven't found a malware or anti-virus application that will run on WHS without locking it up.

Any ideas and help would be much appreciated

gopaperless 
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 2:52 AM

Answers

• Avast, McAfee and F-secure have WHS specific AV solutions. You can search their sites or even better contact them to find out if they have removal tools. Personally I would advise you only to use removal tools from major AV suppliers.

In the mean time configure ALL systems in your network that are currenly using DHCP to get their TCP/IP and DNS server settings manually. Normally setting DNS server to your routers gateway address (often something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254) will work.

If you need more detailed help please let us know.
    • Marked as answer by gopaperless Saturday, May 2, 2009 8:19 PM
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 3:15 AM

All replies

• Avast, McAfee and F-secure have WHS specific AV solutions. You can search their sites or even better contact them to find out if they have removal tools. Personally I would advise you only to use removal tools from major AV suppliers.

In the mean time configure ALL systems in your network that are currenly using DHCP to get their TCP/IP and DNS server settings manually. Normally setting DNS server to your routers gateway address (often something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254) will work.

If you need more detailed help please let us know.
    • Marked as answer by gopaperless Saturday, May 2, 2009 8:19 PM
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 3:15 AM
  • I don't know if it will work or not, but I have had much success with MalwarweBytes AntiMalware program.  It's a free/pro version. Removal seems to be the best I've seen. Sounds like you don't have much to lose!! I run it on every computer that comes through the door.

Cruise
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 3:10 PM
  • Thanks brubber, I'll take a look at some of those other apps and removal tools, and I'll also take your advice on the network settings. Right now they are not manually set.

gopaperless
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 8:09 PM
  • I used MalwareBytes on all my machines and i worked beautifully. But when I tried to install it on my WHS it did not complete, it locked up. And now the un-install locks up as well, so I can't get rid of it. When downloading, the System Pre-requisites state it's for XP or Vista; no mention of WHS, so that was a flag for me but I thought I would try it anyway and it obviously didn't work. Did it just install on your WHS system without any problem?

gopaperless

Saturday, May 2, 2009 8:14 PM
  • You know, MalwareBytes, from a Vista or XP PC,  will scan any drive letter on your network, including any you have mapped to the WHS.
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 9:36 PM
  • Good idea! I never thought of that Bobsie.

thanks

gopaperless

Sunday, May 3, 2009 5:22 PM