Tips for a hassle free installation of security software... RRS feed

• General discussion

• It seems a lot of people change security software as often as they do their drawers and most of the time, the software you remove does not uninstall correctly or completely making a mess of things. Some vendors have their own removal tools to clean up behind their uninstallers, yet, I have still found remnants and traces of their soiftware in my system and registry after using such tools. Let's face it, most software programs do not uninstall cleanly, especially security suites that integrate deeply into the operating system. Here's what I suggest for a hassle free install, if you have already tried the software and decided to purchase, I would recommend you reformat and reload your computer before installing your new security software. A fresh system install and clean registry seem to make all the difference in the world when it comes to running todays security suites, atleast this has been my experience the past couple of years.

I also do not clutter my system with a bunch of third party security products, your just asking for software conflicts and system problems down the road. I just did a reformat and reload before I installed Windows Live OneCare and I must say, it runs flawlessly on my system, before that I had Mcafee Virus Scan Plus, before that AVG Internet Security 8.0 all of them installed on a fresh operating system and I did not have one single problem. This seems to work well for me, give it a try, you might be surprized at the results.

Monday, August 4, 2008 5:52 PM

All replies

• Thanks for sharing this tip, Marc.

-steve

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 5:45 PM