windows home server and virtual machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there sorry If this has ever been answeard or I have posted this in the wrong place but here is my question ..

I would like to create a virtual machine with vail on it have my server boot in to that, but i do not want it to use a os to run the VM from.

I also want it to be able to access all my other 6 hd's with out having to creat a VHD on each of them

Any help would be great,

Many Thanks Ian Bennington

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Ian,

dependend from the host operating system or the used virtualization software you can do this. HyperV i.e. would allow you to create a 64 Bit VM to host Vail and also add physical disks to it. On the other side HyperV still lacks support for USB storage devices, therefore you cannot use the Server backup feature. Not sure about other programs like VMWare, since I currently don't use them.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Ian,

dependend from the host operating system or the used virtualization software you can do this. HyperV i.e. would allow you to create a 64 Bit VM to host Vail and also add physical disks to it. On the other side HyperV still lacks support for USB storage devices, therefore you cannot use the Server backup feature. Not sure about other programs like VMWare, since I currently don't use them.

Olaf

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:18 AM
  • Hi Olaf

Sounds good to me just wish there was a way of getting USB to work, if anyone has any better ways of doing this I would live to hear.

Many thanks for your help.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:01 PM
  • Some versions of VMWare support USB passthrough. Not all, though, I think.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Try USB@nywhere (http://www.intellidriver.com/)

That should work.  Or, you could use VMware Workstation on a windows or linux host using USB redirection, but that involves another OS layer.  If USB@nywhere works you can use that with hyper-v server without anything else in-between.  It's probably a toss-up performance wise.

Mike

Thursday, July 1, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Actually, rereading your post...

What OS do you have on your server now?  If you already have Windows or Linux on it then you can easily setup VMware Workstation to use your 6 other HDs directly without creating VHDs.

I'm a little unclear on what "I would like to create a virtual machine with vail on it have my server boot in to that" means, though.  You're definitely missing some words. ;)

Mike

Thursday, July 1, 2010 5:39 PM
  • Hi Ian,

On the other side HyperV still lacks support for USB storage devices, therefore you cannot use the Server backup feature. 

Olaf

Huh?

I currently have Vail running under Hyper V 2008 R2 and I can garanty that I can use an USB drive into Vail like any other drive (stand alone, for Storage or for Backup).

Vail run perfect on Hyper-V thanks to the Server 2008 R2 base.

Monday, July 19, 2010 9:48 PM
  • When did Hyper-V get USB passthrough? I've never seen it and I'm running the same setup.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:51 PM