upgrading main hard drive to solid state type RRS feed

• Question

• i am plannig to upgrade my main HD to a new ds state so it will perform better.  i just upgraded to winodws 7 from XP via family pack windopws 7 home premium.  I cannot  just simply create a mirror image because current main HD is raid 0 - 1 terra byte size & mynew solid state is only 80 gb.  i am planning to load only main OS & critical softwares into the new 80 gb solid state HD.  If i load windows 7 from scratch onto new 80 GB HD, can I retype the existing activation product I.D. # ?  if not please advise how to load OS to new 80 gb HD.  thanks in advance.  Jack
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:26 PM

Answers

• "jackdshutter" wrote in message news:649294db-6c26-4514-9901-6d1b0623b9cf...
    i am plannig to upgrade my main HD to a new ds state so it will perform better.  i just upgraded to winodws 7 from XP via family pack windopws 7 home premium.  I cannot  just simply create a mirror image because current main HD is raid 0 - 1 terra byte size & mynew solid state is only 80 gb.  i am planning to load only main OS & critical softwares into the new 80 gb solid state HD.  If i load windows 7 from scratch onto new 80 GB HD, can I retype the existing activation product I.D. # ?  if not please advise how to load OS to new 80 gb HD.  thanks in advance.  Jack

No - that won't work, because your license requires an installed  qualifying operating system to be able to upgrade.
    This isn't really a question for this forum - please repost your query in the Windows 7 Answers Install forum here
    Include details of your prior OS, (i.e. did it come with the computer pre-installed, or was it a Retail package, and what OS was it?)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:37 PM