Optimum WHS configurations & systems that meet different applications RRS feed

• Question

• Wanted to develop a set of system capabilities and features that will provide an optimal WHS configuration. I will start off with some high level goals and then get into detail. I understand that there is likely to be a number of differing goals and that will drive separate paths. The power of multiple perspectives and opinions will result in better understanding of what is important to different folks.

My take on different configurations is;

• server with capability to support TBs of storage and be stored in "dark" environment
    • media server to operate quietly and unobtrusively in living space
    • "mid" size server to operate in home office environment
    • ??

High level

• power consumption efficient e.g. right sized processor, power supply efficiency.
    • ease of headless operation i.e. BIOS capabilities
    • case that handles disk additions and replacements with minimal effort
    • hard drive monitoring at BIOS level
    • BIOS supports USB booting for situations where CD/DVD is required
    • ???

Specific capabilities

• integrated capabilities preferred e.g, GE on motherboard, on board video
    • ability to remove physical power switch to avoid accidental shut down
    • ??
    Friday, March 23, 2007 4:35 PM

Answers

•  jkcarroll wrote:

Greetings and Salutations!  One thing I've wondered about in terms of a pre-built plug-n-play system is the expansion, particularly for the home/non-techie user.  How easy/difficult is it to install an eSATA drive, esp. compared to installing an external USB drive?  How many USB ports will be put on each server?

Also, something that not many people on this board appear to be doing but which may become a critical issue for the home user is printer installation.  How well does WHS work as a printer server?  My guess is that only USB printers will be supported; however, that means one USB port for each printer, which will limit the number of USB drives that can be plugged in.

Each manufacture will have their own design.  From what I have seen, you'll be able to expand them very easily.
    Monday, April 2, 2007 6:37 AM
  • Expandability: most modern motherboards have multiple ports: USB (and usually a controller for every port), Firewire, maybe eSATA. You should be able to connect multiple large drives to WHS very easily.

Printers: Any printer you can connect to WHS, and for which there are Windows 2003 drivers (though XP drivers may also work, you should user W2k3 drivers if available) should be shareable. That includes USB, parallel, Firewire, and serial.
    Monday, April 2, 2007 11:37 AM

All replies

• Greetings and Salutations!  One thing I've wondered about in terms of a pre-built plug-n-play system is the expansion, particularly for the home/non-techie user.  How easy/difficult is it to install an eSATA drive, esp. compared to installing an external USB drive?  How many USB ports will be put on each server?

Also, something that not many people on this board appear to be doing but which may become a critical issue for the home user is printer installation.  How well does WHS work as a printer server?  My guess is that only USB printers will be supported; however, that means one USB port for each printer, which will limit the number of USB drives that can be plugged in.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 2:31 PM
  •  jkcarroll wrote:

Greetings and Salutations!  One thing I've wondered about in terms of a pre-built plug-n-play system is the expansion, particularly for the home/non-techie user.  How easy/difficult is it to install an eSATA drive, esp. compared to installing an external USB drive?  How many USB ports will be put on each server?

Each manufacture will have their own design.  From what I have seen, you'll be able to expand them very easily.
    Monday, April 2, 2007 6:37 AM
  • Expandability: most modern motherboards have multiple ports: USB (and usually a controller for every port), Firewire, maybe eSATA. You should be able to connect multiple large drives to WHS very easily.

Printers: Any printer you can connect to WHS, and for which there are Windows 2003 drivers (though XP drivers may also work, you should user W2k3 drivers if available) should be shareable. That includes USB, parallel, Firewire, and serial.
    Monday, April 2, 2007 11:37 AM
  • I think you hit on the extremes -- small & quiet for "inline" use, or big & expandable if you've got a place to stuff the box (basement).

I'd expect 80% or more of potential users to gravitate towards the minimalist spec.  Not only will these machines be easier to get past the "you're not putting that thing in my living room" police, they'll also be more power-efficient.

Personally, though, I'd like to be able to get WHS running on a "real" server.  I've got a spot in the basement where the fan noise won't be a problem, and I like the idea of redundant power supplies and great cooling dynamics.  As long as I've owned PC's, more of them have gone down with dead power supplies than all other reason combined.

I'd really like to be able experiment with running a VM or two on this box - maybe an IDS or even Asterisk.
    Friday, April 6, 2007 5:51 PM