CIFS? NAS? ring some bells? RRS feed

• Question

• I am VEXED I cannot add NETWORK folders to my mesh

I want to install live mesh on ONE lan (virtual) machine to share data anywhere on LAN, synch to lvie desktop, and share with friends.

tolerate nothing wrong
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 8:41 PM

Answers

• Adding network folders is not supported by Live Mesh.

You can install Live Mesh on a Virtual Machine as it isn't a network location and appears to be a PC on the network, as long as the VM is running a supported OS. It doesn't matter where the VM is hosted. It certainly can't be hosted on a NAS unless the NAS has a host OS that supports running a VM on it. If the VM Manager exists on a PC on your network and the VM exists on the NAS, the host PC and the NAS must both be powered up and running and the VM must be running and connected to the network.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, November 2, 2009 12:56 AM

All replies

• Adding network folders is not supported by Live Mesh.

You can install Live Mesh on a Virtual Machine as it isn't a network location and appears to be a PC on the network, as long as the VM is running a supported OS. It doesn't matter where the VM is hosted. It certainly can't be hosted on a NAS unless the NAS has a host OS that supports running a VM on it. If the VM Manager exists on a PC on your network and the VM exists on the NAS, the host PC and the NAS must both be powered up and running and the VM must be running and connected to the network.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, November 2, 2009 12:56 AM
  • I'll add this that I located about CIFS, not knowing what it meant:

"Common Internet File System (CIFS) is a proposed standard protocol that lets programs make requests for files and services on remote computers on the Internet. CIFS uses the client/server programming model. A client program makes a request of a server program (usually in another computer) for access to a file or to pass a message to a program that runs in the server computer."

That means that there is a server involved, expecially if you're talking about a VM. I'll also note that the text I located says "proposed."

-steve
    Monday, November 2, 2009 1:00 AM
  • CIFS is just the current fancy way of saying "Windows file sharing."  It also is NAS (network attached storage), an umbrella encompassing a number of protocols (e.g., CIFS, NFS, FTP, etc.).
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 1:34 AM