Feature request: keyboard shortcuts for HTML tags RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I'm the owner and editor of a popular blog about virtualizationt technologies called "virtualization.info".

virtualization.info exists since 2003 and in the last 5 years I've looked around to find a valuable blogging client to simplify my work as editor.
    I didn't for several reasons, so I was obliged to use the online editing features that my blogging platform currently offers.

Few weeks ago I tried the lastest build of Windows Live Writer and was glad to discover that your application supports xHTML, which is one of the major requirements that I have to work on virtualization.info.

Despite an issue in the way WLW place the newline tag between two different paragraph tags, I'm was pretty satisfied and I'm pleased to say that now virtualization.info is powered by WLW.

This new beta seems a good opportunity to submit a feature request which may further simplify my work: I'm like to have a way to assign specific keyboard shortcuts to some custom HTML tags.

This is necessary all the times I'm running a 3rd party application (or my own custom code) on the blogging platform and need to recall the application's features from inside the post I'm about to publish.

I don't think I would need more than ten customizable forms where to write the HTML tag I want to write and the associated keyboard shortcuts that I desire to use.

I sincerely hope to see this feature in the RTM of the next version of WLW.

Thanks

Alessandro Perilli, CISSP

Founder

virtualization.info - www.virtualization.info

Virtualization Congress - www.virtualizationcongress.com

eMail: alessandro.perilli@virtualization.info

LinkedIn profile: www.linkedin.com/in/alessandroperilli

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 8:28 AM

All replies

• It won't give you keyboard shortcuts, but you still might find my Dynamic Template plugin handy.

http://www.joecheng.com/code/DynamicTemplate/

Can you elaborate on the "issue in the way WLW place the newline tag between two different paragraph tags"? I'm not sure what you mean by that...
    • Marked as answer by Becky Pezely Friday, June 6, 2008 12:38 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Becky Pezely Friday, June 6, 2008 12:38 AM
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 4:19 PM
  • Joe,
    the plugin you wrote is great. It doesn't solve the problem I have but it's definitively useful for other situations.

The "issue" I'm talking about is the following:

When writing a series of paragraphs I may want to separate them with a newline <br /> which can be invoked with SHIFT+ENTER.
    With this method at today WLW places <br /> only inside paragraphs and not between them.
    This meas that, to separate two of them with an extra line, I need to use the trick:

<p>
    paragraph 1 text
    <br /></p>
    <p>paragraph 2 text</p>

or

<p>paragraph 1 text</p>
    <p><br />
     paragraph 2 text</p>

But this solution is not optimal for code troubleshooting and IMHO doesn't produce meaningful HTML.
    I want to be able to use SHIFT+ENTER (or any other keyboard shortcut) and have the newline tag in between two paragraphs:

<p>paragraph 1 text</p>
    <br />
    <p> paragraph 2 text</p>

Obviously I can solve this problem simply moving the newline out of the paragraphs from the HTML Code view, but this really slows down my work.
    My goal is to continue to use a shortcut to place the newlines in my xHTML posts.

I hope this clarifies my initial statement.

Thanks
    Alessandro
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 11:42 PM
  • Alessandro,

Thank you very much for trying out Writer and taking the time to send in your feedback.

We're so glad to hear that you're getting good use out of the product so far.

Sincerely,
    Becky
    Becky Pezely (MSFT)
    • Edited by Becky Pezely Friday, June 6, 2008 12:39 AM Update
    Friday, June 6, 2008 12:38 AM