Force use of Internet DNS instead of internal DNS when working remote over VPN RRS feed

• Question

•  

Running OCS EE with Edge without any problems except for this one "feature" issue.

When our employees are offsite or working from home, they use our VPN (Sonicwall SSL VPN) for connectivity back to the office.  When the VPN is active, Communicator wants to send all traffic through the VPN tunnel instead of through the Edge.  This causes voice quality issues due to encryption of rtp through the tunnel.  This is a split tunnel VPN connection, so the users have complete access to the internet for any lookup which does not reside on our internal LAN.

I could block access to the front end server in our VPN/firewall configuration, but I would think it would be better to make a DNS or Communicator change.  Anyone have an answer to this?

Thanks,

Michael

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know you cannot change the order in way communicator resolves the srv records. It will alway try the internal service records first before trying the external ones which is why you end up in this situation.

Sincerely,
    Tonino Bruno

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:44 PM