Tcalls from Windows RRS feed

• Question

• i keep recieving tcalls from first a woman who says she is from windows and to say my computer is corrupted, because i didnt understand what she was saying a fella got on the phone, says it was serious and i needed to switch my compuer on urgently.  i told him i was going to work and anyway which computer was broke as i had a comp and laptop, he said do they use the same reuter if so both would be corrupted.  any way ii had to go to work, they have rung twice on sat but i wasnt in.  is this genuine tcall or a scam i need help urgently
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:38 PM

Answers

• This type of unsolicited call is indeed a scam.  Next time it happens, hang up immediately!
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:43 PM
  • As Carey says, it is a scam.  They have you check in a program called an Event Viewer in your computer.  There are always brief contentions in a system and the con artists point to these as though they were some sort of crises (which they are not).  But each is marked with an ominous looking sysmbol so they try to stampede you.  Then they talk you into downloading useless software to "fix" these "problems".  At a price, of course.  Worse, they talk you into letting them control your computer remotely in order to fix other "problems".  At a price, of course. 

This is a worldwide scam.  They cold call randomly.  Even to people who don't have a computer.  So many people have computers that they usually get a hit.  I told the one who called me that I had a Mac.  The crook tried to tell me that Microsoft had detected a problem in my Mac's BIOS.  (Of course Macs don't have a BIOS.)  LOL.

The scammers put malware on your computer and capture your credit card credentials.  Microsoft never cold calls anyone for any purpose.  Microsoft also never tells you that you have problems on your computer unless you initiate the call and ask support for specific help.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:01 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• This type of unsolicited call is indeed a scam.  Next time it happens, hang up immediately!
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:43 PM
  • As Carey says, it is a scam.  They have you check in a program called an Event Viewer in your computer.  There are always brief contentions in a system and the con artists point to these as though they were some sort of crises (which they are not).  But each is marked with an ominous looking sysmbol so they try to stampede you.  Then they talk you into downloading useless software to "fix" these "problems".  At a price, of course.  Worse, they talk you into letting them control your computer remotely in order to fix other "problems".  At a price, of course. 

This is a worldwide scam.  They cold call randomly.  Even to people who don't have a computer.  So many people have computers that they usually get a hit.  I told the one who called me that I had a Mac.  The crook tried to tell me that Microsoft had detected a problem in my Mac's BIOS.  (Of course Macs don't have a BIOS.)  LOL.

The scammers put malware on your computer and capture your credit card credentials.  Microsoft never cold calls anyone for any purpose.  Microsoft also never tells you that you have problems on your computer unless you initiate the call and ask support for specific help.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:01 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks to everyone for your quick replies

Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:07 PM