100% CPU (winss.exe & svchost.exe) temporary solution!! RRS feed

• Question

•  

After installing beta 2, I noticed that winss.exe and svchost.exe suck (between the 2 procs)  98% of the CPU.  Killing the winss.exe process release the CPU but closed onecare too.

on a hunch in I uninstalled "peer to peer" service (in Add remove windows features/under networking), and PFM!! CPU is running cool and the system is nice and responsive..

What does one have to do with the other? I am not sure, but it needs to get fixed..

Sunday, September 2, 2007 6:04 AM

Answers

•  

It is mind boggling that Version 2.0 went to General release, and this has not been fixed..

I help a friend today set up 3 PCs with the new OneCare, and one of them had the throttle stuck at 100%. I checked, and you guessed it, he had Peer to Peer active. 

I can only imagine how many people install and then dump this product because of this problem..

Stupid!

Monday, December 3, 2007 3:13 AM

All replies

• Interesting, please file a bug on Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

-steve

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 1:26 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:
    Interesting, please file a bug on Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

-steve

Done..   I was able to replicate it on all 4 (Win XP) PCs at home..  If Peer to Peer is enabled, the winss and svchost processes start running at a total of 99% CPU..  You un install peer to peer, and the 2 processes disappear and all is cool..

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 3:39 AM
  • Thanks very much for filing that. And for the additional testing!

-steve

Thursday, September 6, 2007 12:04 AM
  • I was having a very similar problem on my Vista X64 machine????

What would be affected uninstalling "peer to peer"  ???

Thanks for your help,

I really want to run this on my Vista machines to help back up my laptop

Friday, September 7, 2007 5:25 PM
  •  OpX wrote:

I was having a very similar problem on my Vista X64 machine????

What would be affected uninstalling "peer to peer"  ???

Thanks for your help,

I really want to run this on my Vista machines to help back up my laptop

I found this article that has way more than you might want to know - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/p2p/p2pintro.mspx

It appears that Windows Meeting Space would be affected. I've never used that, so no loss to me right now.

Since it has been bugged, though, I would hope that the problem will be addressed so you could reinstall the service at a later date.

-steve

Friday, September 7, 2007 6:09 PM
  • Hey thanks for the temp solution...I was having the same problem.  Did you ever file a bug for this, I will v&v it if you have.

Robert

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 4:16 PM
  • Thank you for posting this.  I was having the same problem.  I was almost ready to yank OneCare off my computer.  Hope they fix this soon.

Thanks again.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 6:10 AM
  • I too was within 10 minutes of going back to Norton. Thanks for finding the solution to this CPU hog.

Monday, December 3, 2007 12:47 AM
  •  

It is mind boggling that Version 2.0 went to General release, and this has not been fixed..

I help a friend today set up 3 PCs with the new OneCare, and one of them had the throttle stuck at 100%. I checked, and you guessed it, he had Peer to Peer active. 

I can only imagine how many people install and then dump this product because of this problem..

Stupid!

Monday, December 3, 2007 3:13 AM
  • Thanks, I'll try this.  My svchost.exe is hogging 50% in one occurence and 25% in another occurence.  I probably didn't notice another occurence because Live OneCare has been running for over 8 hours and is still only 1% finished with an antivirus scan on my laptop.

------------------------- Completed Temporary Fix for XP Pro Edition -------------------------

<Start>

<Control Panel>

<Switch to Classic View>

<Network Connections>

Right Click<Wireless Network Connections><Properties>

Select<Advanced>Tab

<Settings>

Select<Exceptions>Tab

Uncheck<Remote Assitance>

Uncheck<Remote Desktop>

Uncheck<Windows Peer-to-Peer Grouping>

<OK>

I also deleted all of my wireless network hotspots except the ones I actively use.

My svchost.exe computing utilization has dropped to zero.  My computer is running normally again.

============================================================

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

--------------------- Interesting Consequence -------------------

I have not had a similar problem on my Desktop which runs XP Home Edition and runs OneCare under the same license.  Both computers were updated at about the same time.

=======================================

================== My Mistake =====================

I found that I had inadvertently loaded OneCare on 4 machines.  Since I only use my desktop and laptop normally, I can not speak to how the other two are running.  I'll have to go play with them to find out.

But I suspect that OneCare goes and looks to Update and it can't because there isn't a valid license.

I just reloaded the free anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-pop-up, and firewall software I had on the laptop before I purchased OneCare.

I would guess, if someone has a similar problem, then they might need to purchase an extra license for the 4th computer.  However, I don't see a means to Add a fourth or fifth computer to your "Circle".  You might have to pay for 3 more licenses.  I would guess OneCare has something figured out for supporting a workgroup of more than 3 computers.

Moderator?  Any suggestions for adding a 4th computer to the "Circle"?

James Dunn

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/jamesbdunn?p=207

Monday, December 3, 2007 3:22 PM
  • I have peer to peer communication with my wireless printer.  Am I out of luck using onecare?

Saturday, December 29, 2007 10:19 PM
  •  SweetBilleBob wrote:

I have peer to peer communication with my wireless printer.  Am I out of luck using onecare?

I don't think that the communication protocol used to print is the same thing as the network protocol that is causing issues with high CPU and winss.exe.

-steve

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 7:55 PM
  • ------------------------- Completed Temporary Fix for XP Pro Edition -------------------------

<Start>

<Control Panel>

<Switch to Classic View>

<Network Connections>

Right Click<Wireless Network Connections><Properties>

Select<Advanced>Tab

<Settings>

Select<Exceptions>Tab

Uncheck<Remote Assitance>

Uncheck<Remote Desktop>

Uncheck<Windows Peer-to-Peer Grouping>

<OK>

I also deleted all of my wireless network hotspots except the ones I actively use.

My svchost.exe computing utilization has dropped to zero.  My computer is running normally again.

============================================================

I tried this but it does not work on my PC. Last three day my cpu is 100% with winss on with out it its fine can any one help me thanks.

Monday, January 14, 2008 3:24 AM
  • khayrul, see if this thread solve it for you:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2008959&SiteID=2

If not, please contact support.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:48 AM
  • Thanks for this solution, you've given me my cpu back :-)

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:55 AM
  • After I updated to the new version of Live OneCare, it one caused my Accounting System to Crash just in time for year end tax reports and  caused my Microsoft Office to crash on a regular basis and uses 100% of my CPU and never stops. I will now have to totally rebuild my hard drive. I had no problem until my license ran out on the old Live OneCare and it took days to get microsoft to allow me to purchase a renewal online. The old version never gave me a problem for 1 year my system ran with out problems. I am thinking of junking the new version.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 7:11 PM
  •  xlerb wrote:

After I updated to the new version of Live OneCare, it one caused my Accounting System to Crash just in time for year end tax reports and  caused my Microsoft Office to crash on a regular basis and uses 100% of my CPU and never stops. I will now have to totally rebuild my hard drive. I had no problem until my license ran out on the old Live OneCare and it took days to get microsoft to allow me to purchase a renewal online. The old version never gave me a problem for 1 year my system ran with out problems. I am thinking of junking the new version.

Have you looked at this post? - 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2707364&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 6:43 PM
  •  

Dont know if this info will be of any use but here goes.

I have been suffering fron svchost.exe (well one of them) hogging 50% cpu, this happens when ever im on a fresh boot up on wired network.  Wireless seems ok on battery power.

After running the laptop all week with out rebooting to keep CPU free, i had to restart due to a drive update and yet again svchost.exe hoggin 50% cpu.  So i unplugged the ethernet cable and straightaway cpu useage dropped, plugged it back in and all is good.

Onecare is running on version 2 - no circle set up.

Also running windows home server connector software.

I am wondering if it is the home server connector rarther than onecare in my case.

Has anyone else found the same?

Cheers

RB

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 5:15 PM
  •  RB 1 wrote:

Dont know if this info will be of any use but here goes.

I have been suffering fron svchost.exe (well one of them) hogging 50% cpu, this happens when ever im on a fresh boot up on wired network.  Wireless seems ok on battery power.

After running the laptop all week with out rebooting to keep CPU free, i had to restart due to a drive update and yet again svchost.exe hoggin 50% cpu.  So i unplugged the ethernet cable and straightaway cpu useage dropped, plugged it back in and all is good.

Onecare is running on version 2 - no circle set up.

Also running windows home server connector software.

I am wondering if it is the home server connector rarther than onecare in my case.

Has anyone else found the same?

Cheers

RB

RB, did you try the fix in the post linked to in the post above yours?

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 10:20 PM
  • My WIN XP w/ SP3 installed still runs at close to 50% +/- SVCHOST.EXE
    which causes the CPU fan to run at high speed almost all the time. 
    Peer to Peer is NOT enabled.  I fear running the CPU hot all the time will fry it.

Clyde Wentz
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 11:16 AM
  • Are you running OneCare, Clyde? If not, you're off topic for this forum. If yes, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, November 3, 2008 7:29 PM