Windows Vista Shutdown Issues RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello, I just recently upgraded to Vista and my system does not shutdown properly.  I had the same configuration with XP and it just down the way it should.  When I shutdown Vista it does everything as normal but then it just restarts the computer instead of powering off.  I dont get any error codes, it just reboots itself.  My settings indicate the power button to shutdown the computer.  Additionally, if i hit the power button on my computer, it does the same thing.  The only way to shut the computer down now is to hold and time the power button to shutdown before it starts to load Vista.  If i dont time it right, it gives me the screen that says Vista did not shut down correctly the next time I restart.  Any ideas?  Is there something I can download to correct the issue.  Seems as if though this is a Vista problem due to the fact that XP shutdown fine.  Thanks in advance.

My specs:  (not sure what would be helpful)

Vista Home Premium 32 bit version.

MSI K8T NEO2-F v2

AMD X2 4200+

1 GB 2 x 512 Memory

AGP 7800gs.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:47 PM

All replies

• Hello, I bought a notebook from Dell about two weeks ago that came preinstalled with Vista Home Basic edition.  When I first brought it home, the Shutdown option worked fine.  I've added a Linksys Wireless N Router and PC card (with PC card - Express Card adapter) to my setup.  Additionally, I've installed MS Office, Visio and Money (all 2007 versions), iTunes w/ QuickTime Player, Firefox w/ various extensions, Nero 8, GetDataBack for NTFS, CCleaner, Kapersky Internet Security 7, O&O Defrag, WinRAR, Primary Response SafeConnect, SiSoftware Sandra, & Spyware Doctor.  I let my notebook go into Standby or Hibernate mode frequently, so I'm not sure exactly which install caused the problem.  I'm relatively certain that it wasn't the wireless pc card or adapter...

But oddly enough, there is a problem we've been having with an external USB hard drive that Vista Ultimate won't recognize.  (A whole different problem.)  I plugged this USB hard drive into my notebook (with Vista Home) to try and copy the data off of it, and it didn't work.  It started to copy, but then I got an error message (which I neglected to write down at the time) and the drive disappeared.  None of my computers will recognize the drive at this point...  What I'm really wondering though is if the USB drive has caused some sort of configuration change that is messing up the way Vista shuts down.

Or maybe it was one of the software installs...  If I find an answer, I'll definitely post here.  I was hoping that if I added my situation to this thread, that someone would eventually respond.  I'll bet more people than the two of us are experiencing this problem.  If you find an answer, PLEASE post it or email me or something!!!

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.  Smile

My specs:
    Dell Inspiron 1501
    AMD Athlon 64x2 TK-53 1.70 GHz
    2 GB RAM
    160 GB SATA HD
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1150
    Monday, December 3, 2007 3:26 AM
  •  FM Y, I have a similar system to yours. inspiron 1501  2GB ram Amd Athlon TL-56, Vista Home premium,  I am responding because i have an issue with Western Digital Passport Essential USB Hard Drive that will not shut down properly with 'safely remove hardware' utility. however the Hard Drive is not causing any problems with Vista itself. Do you use a similar Drive?

WD website said Microsoft is working on a 'hotfix' for this issue. i am browsing for that info now...

Also i  recently installed vista's SP1 and that helps a lot with 'sleep' and 'wake' issues. if you have not done so i would definitely recommend getting  the Service Pack. My 1501 did not pick it up on windows update so i had to email Microsoft to find out how to download it. thye were helpful. an dsent me a backup DVD as well.

Question for you is did you install all of the software without restore points between them. (Windows may have created some restore points automatically ) that would help toruble shoot the culprit application if there is one.

May the Force be with you...

Monday, July 28, 2008 2:04 PM
  • I'm having the same issue. Sometimes it takes up to 30 minutes before the computer shuts down. Has anyone found a fix for this?

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:49 PM