none
Pre-installation questions - system considerations for WWT Gold 5.1

Question

•   HI  MS WWT support -

I am interested in trying WWT as a Windows PC installation on my Win7 Home Premium 64-bit machine.  I notice  on the WWT site there are some pretty specific graphics requirements, and am not sure if my system is up to it before I attempt an install of WWT 5.1 Gold.  So if you can determine if my system is seriously deficient so as to be unfit to run WWT 5.1, I will perhaps fall back to another earlier option.  I wouldn't mind just a slower than optimum system, but would like to avoid a critical failure.

My custom-built PC is about 3 years old and does have some pretty capable features such as a fast quad core processor (i5-3570K).  The system B.O.M. supplied by the builder tells me it has some implementation of CrossFireX.  It is running PCI Express 3.0 video hardware. 

I had hoped to include for you screen captures from the directX DxDiag utility readout on my system but no way to attach them.  So manually copied . . .  1) it indicates some 3D capability being enabled as well.   2) 8192Mb of system DDR3 RAM.   3) Running DirectX 11.  4) BioStar TZ77B system on an ATX MOBO.  5) display driven by Intel HD 4000.  6) in connection with display specs, note says total memory = 1696Mb (is this dedicated graphics memory??)   7) Additional DirectX features listed as enabled = DirectDraw Acceleration, and AGP Texture Acceleration.

Anyway, hope these may be useful in rendering an opinion on my chances of success with trying a WWT 5.1 Gold installation.  I appreciate your valuable experience as applied to these questions.

Thanks much,

celestial reunion

Sunday, June 14, 2015 1:28 AM

All replies

• Hi celestial reunion,

Your PC should be fine for WorldWide Telescope.   

There will be a new release of the WorldWide Telescope Windows application the final week of June to which everyone is strongly encouraged to upgrade!

We have gone open source and have a new cloud-based infrastructure for communities, tours and data (Azure);   the old one will stop functioning shortly.

Friday, June 26, 2015 9:39 PM