Joint ownership of merged records RRS feed

• Question

• When merging some lead entities to tidy the CRM 2011 Online database.

I noticed that if the two leads to be merged into one are owned by different CRM users, the following happens:

1 - The master lead record (i.e. the one that is kept after the merge process completes) can be accessed in full by either of the users that owned either of the original two leads that make up the merged record.

2 - The retained lead record gets shared in full to the user that is the new owner of the merged record.

This makes for a very untidy set of views with users able to view an assortment of leads that they should not be able to see!

I've checked access rights in security profiles to make sure that the users involved are not gaining access to records via a misplaced set of security rights or via sharing. All appear to be set correctly.

I've assigned ownership of the newly merged record to a 3rd party and both of the original owners can still access the merged record fully when they should not even be able to view it!

In the hope of avoiding this issue of "dual ownership" in the future I've instructed the user doing the merging to make sure that both records in a merge are first re-assigned to the user that will own the record after the merge before merging takes place.

My questions are:

1 - Is there any way of altering this default behaviour of allowing joint ownership of merged records?

2 - Is there any way of removing access to a record that has already been merged (other than reassigning it)?

Here's hoping!

Monday, May 13, 2013 1:06 PM

Answers

• Hi

Firstly, go to Settings > System > Administration and check the setting 'Share Reassigned records with original owner'. Ensure it is set to NO.

Secondly, you can use a custom workflow step such as this one http://crm2011workflowutils.codeplex.com/ to perform an 'Unshare' operation.

MCTS. GAP Consulting Ltd. Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 & 2013

Monday, May 13, 2013 7:39 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi

Firstly, go to Settings > System > Administration and check the setting 'Share Reassigned records with original owner'. Ensure it is set to NO.

Secondly, you can use a custom workflow step such as this one http://crm2011workflowutils.codeplex.com/ to perform an 'Unshare' operation.

MCTS. GAP Consulting Ltd. Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 & 2013

Monday, May 13, 2013 7:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Just an update for future readers.

MS Support have acknowledged that they can replicate the "unwelcome" behaviour of single records being owned by multiple users following the merge operation.

The way to avoid this scenario is to get the person doing the merge to transfer ownership of the records to a single user prior to the merge operation being carried out. I am going to have to manually delete and recreate the small'ish number of "jointly owned" records to fix my existing problem.

At the time of writing (Mid June 2013) I'm not sure what if anything MS are going to do about the issue but even if they start to publicise it may stop other users from having the same issue.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:02 PM
  • Update:

To clarify, in my installation the setting 'Share Reassigned records with original owner' in Settings > System > Administration was and is set to NO.

On July 8th Microsoft have informed me that:

1 - The behaviour of the merged records to be accessible in views by dual users as detailed above is behaviour that they have been able to replicate.

2 - This behaviour is not intended and MS intend to fix / alter the behaviour in Dynamics CRM Update Rollup 16.

Unfortunately, the MS representative was unable to confirm when UR16 is likely to be released and how the ownership issue will operate after the change. Common sense would indicate that the owner of the master record would retain ownership of the resulting merged record and that the owner of the discarded record loses access to the record (unless the Admin setting above is set to Yes).

Friday, July 12, 2013 1:30 PM