Minimun hardware and software requirments for OCS2007 R2 installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have read the planning instructions. I want to make sure I understand this correct and have no regrets after the install. My company has 250 employees and I guess I will be installing the Standard version with Support for External User Access .

For the standard version  I will be using two servers x64 Windows 2003 or Windows 2008, my domain  level is ok. we are using Exchange 2003?.

What I would like know is do I need Exchange 2007?, is it possible to add services later on  say live meeting...

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 10:38 AM

Answers

• Based on your description, it looks like you are all set to go. Make sure that you review the OCS 2007 R2 system requirements to verify readiness of your environment.

Start off with core features (IM, Web conferencing, etc.) and iron out any functional issues before moving on to enterprise features like VoIP and PBX integration, etc..  Exchange 2007 Unified Messaging (UM) role is only required when you intend to have an unified mailbox i.e. voice messages delivered directly to your Outlook Inbox for instance.

You may wish to check out several posts I wrote at the sign-off URL related to this and other topics.

Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!
    TechNet Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com/weblog/
    • Marked as answer by Stjani Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 12:18 PM
  • The Standard Edition server will already include the backend components (Web Conferencing and A/V Conferencing services) needed to support Live Meeting.  To limit usage before you are ready you can set global properties to block users from creating and joining Live Meeting sessions in case any users install the Live Meeting application on their own and attempt to test it out.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 1:23 PM

All replies

• Based on your description, it looks like you are all set to go. Make sure that you review the OCS 2007 R2 system requirements to verify readiness of your environment.

Start off with core features (IM, Web conferencing, etc.) and iron out any functional issues before moving on to enterprise features like VoIP and PBX integration, etc..  Exchange 2007 Unified Messaging (UM) role is only required when you intend to have an unified mailbox i.e. voice messages delivered directly to your Outlook Inbox for instance.

You may wish to check out several posts I wrote at the sign-off URL related to this and other topics.

Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!
    TechNet Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com/weblog/
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 12:18 PM
  • The Standard Edition server will already include the backend components (Web Conferencing and A/V Conferencing services) needed to support Live Meeting.  To limit usage before you are ready you can set global properties to block users from creating and joining Live Meeting sessions in case any users install the Live Meeting application on their own and attempt to test it out.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 1:23 PM