resize hard drive without third party apps RRS feed

• Question

• Dose anyone know of a way to extend the 20gig C drive to somthing more inline with todays larger standards

The question has to be asked, why 20G????.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:27 AM

Answers

• There is no way to do so without 3rd party applications after setup has been completed, and even with 3rd party applications you may run into the situation, that drive D: jumps out of the storage pool as missing.
    The only in my experience reliable way is to do it by interrupting setup during first reboot, swapping in a Vista or Win 7 DVD and use diskpart with its extend parameter to increase the size of volume C:. After done, swap back the WHS Setup DVD and let setup go on. (This only works reliable on a self built WHS, since the installation process of an OEM server makes it difficult to figure, when this first reboot happens.)
    20 GByte usually is enough (and gives the benefit to supply as much storage as possible for storing backups, shared folders etc on the remaining space of the disk), as long as you use the server only as it is designed (not installing 3rd party applications etc). If something still eats space (as it sometimes logfiles do), something is wrong and must be solved in that specific system.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:36 AM

All replies

• There is no way to do so without 3rd party applications after setup has been completed, and even with 3rd party applications you may run into the situation, that drive D: jumps out of the storage pool as missing.
    The only in my experience reliable way is to do it by interrupting setup during first reboot, swapping in a Vista or Win 7 DVD and use diskpart with its extend parameter to increase the size of volume C:. After done, swap back the WHS Setup DVD and let setup go on. (This only works reliable on a self built WHS, since the installation process of an OEM server makes it difficult to figure, when this first reboot happens.)
    20 GByte usually is enough (and gives the benefit to supply as much storage as possible for storing backups, shared folders etc on the remaining space of the disk), as long as you use the server only as it is designed (not installing 3rd party applications etc). If something still eats space (as it sometimes logfiles do), something is wrong and must be solved in that specific system.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:36 AM
  • Thank you Olaf

I take on board what you are saying and I will start again from scratch with WHS install.

Once again thank you

Paul

Monday, January 18, 2010 9:20 AM