Cannot install WHS2011 connector on any of my computers RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I try to install the connector for WHS 2011 RC on my 64-bit Windows 7 Professional laptop or one of my 32-bit Windows 7 PCs, I receive the error "Cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software installation is in progress, or, the computer has a restart pending. Eather complete the installation process, or, restart the computer and try to connect it again". I've restarted the computers numerous times, done all the software updates, and nothing works. I've even restarted the server (from the server itself) with no luck. I've had this problem for two days now. I've reinstalled the server software, setting the bios time to PST like the installation instructions specified with no luck. I've also changed the computer names with no luck. Can anyone help?
    Dave
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:15 PM

All replies

• See other thread on this subject.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Do you have WHS v1 running? 
    D.W.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:40 PM
  • Yes, on a different platform. I've uninstalled the connector software from both PCs for WHS V1. The connector was installed and operational on the previous BETA of VAIL on both the PCs that it won't now work on.
    Dave
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Not sure what thread you are referring to. I set the servers clock in BIOS to the PST time even though I am in the EST zone. I then ensured that the time and date specified during server install was that of PST. Now there is a disperaty of 3 hours between the servers time and my time.
    Dave
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:02 PM
  • I would set the clock in the os to whatever your other computers are.  It doesn't have to be set to a certain time zone.  I'm in central time, and it works fine for me. 
    D.W.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:08 PM
  • Dave

That was for the last release not RC - I have mine set to EST. There was another thread that people wer discussing this ver issue in.

Phil

Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:14 PM
  • I've changed the server time zone to EST and synched the clock with no luck. Yesterday when I installed the server, I had the same problem and I had setup the server using the EST zone. I don't think the issue is the time specified on the server. It seems that there has to be some other issue on the server that is preventing me from connecting my comptures to the server. The only thing that has changed in my network configuration since taking down my VAIL configuration is I replaced the router. The WHS 2011 RC software is installed on the same platform as previous Vail was, just different hard drives.
    Dave
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:20 PM
  • Try these two threads:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/a90b4679-d2dc-4820-94f0-dce22da245a4

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/def98fd4-9a60-41cc-9e5a-8c1670268741

Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Are you joined to your homegroup?  I guess if all else fails, without being able to look at it, I would just start over, and make sure everything matches time wise from the get go.  Also make sure there are no signs of any other home server products on you client computers.
    D.W.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:31 PM
  • OK. I have completely rebuilt the WHS2011RC server. I've ensured that WHS V1 connector is uninstalled, and I've looked for the registry entry "PendingFileRenameOperations" with the following results. There is no registry key "PendingFileRenameOperations" on my 64-bit Windows 7 Pro laptop. There is however a regestry key "FileRenameOperations". The WHS V1 connector is removed and is not displayed in the list of apps in the control panel or on the start menu. For the laptop, the result is the same. I'm still receiving the error message of "Cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software installation is in progress, or, the computer has a restart pending. Eather complete the installation process, or, restart the computer and try to connect it again".

However, the 32-bit Windows 7 Nettop computer now connects to the server correctly. Could this be a 64-bit issue?

Dave
    Friday, February 11, 2011 5:18 AM
  • I doubt it anything to do with 64 bit.  Are the computers up to date with updates?
    D.W.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 1:16 PM
  • Yes. I've checked the updates for both Windows Update and other software updates. The laptop is up to date. I was able to join a 64-bit desktop running Win7 Home Premium. That is the second computer I've been able to connect to the server and both are running Home Premium. One is 32-bit and the other 64-bit and both have been connected to my WHS V1 system previously. I have not yet been successful in connecting a Win7 Professional to the WHS2011 RC.

I just did a fresh reboot on the laptop and attempted connecting it again and received the same error message. I will try to connect my other 64-bit desktop that is running Win7 Professional and let you know how that goes.

Dave
    Friday, February 11, 2011 7:33 PM
  • I just performed a connection from my 64-bit Win7 Professional desktop platform to the WHS2011 RC server. It connected fine. However, the laptop still won't connect.
    Dave
    Friday, February 11, 2011 8:07 PM
  • I set the servers clock in BIOS to the PST time even though I am in the EST zone.

=========

Dave, when I set up WHS 2011, it was defaulted to PST. I changed that to Central, which is my time zone. I had no problems at all with installing the Connector.

I've always changed the time zone to match mine through every beta, and the Connector has always installed like it should.

Nancy Ward
    Friday, February 11, 2011 8:15 PM
  • Thanks Nancy. I don't believe that was/is the issue. I completely rebuilt the server and set it up like I normally do using EST in both the server's BIOS and the servers configuration setup. I've now been able to join all of my computers EXCEPT my Windows 7 Professional 64-bit laptop to the server. That gives me one Win7 32-bit Home Premium, one Win7 64-bit Home Premium, and one Win7 64-bit Professional "Connected" to the WHS2011 RC server. I've gone back and reinstalled the WHS V1 Connector on the laptop at this time. The only other computer that I haven't tried yet is my wife's Win7 32-bit Home Premium laptop.

The interesting thing is that this laptop was "Connected" to the Vail server (running on the same platform as the new WHS2011 RC) while Vail was operational. I'm at a loss. The laptop's software is up-to-date and there are no "PendingRestart" in the Registry.

Dave
    Friday, February 11, 2011 9:39 PM
  • My only thoughts are that it may be something with your new router as that is the only thing that has changed in your network.  Not sure how much of a pain it would be, but maybe putting your old router back in place and trying from there. 
    D.W.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 11:06 PM
  • I'm also experiencing the same problem with my laptop will not install the connector and recieves the same error message, but my desk top had no problems intalling the connector. Both machines are using windows 7 ultimate. All the machines are set for the same time zones. Very Frustrating!!!
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 11:47 AM
  • I was thinking about that also but that doesn't make sense due to the fact that my 32-bit Net Top computer is connected WiFi to the server. So the issue can't be wireless vice wired. I've also ensured that all computers are in the same homegroup. What's really frustrating is this same laptop connected flawlessly to the previous VAIL build. 
    Dave
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 3:35 PM
  • It may not necessarily be a wireless issue though.  Could be something with how ports are configured, or the firewall on the router.  Did you switch brands?  What brand are you using?  Are you able to set up the server remote access?  I'm pretty sure the problem isn't with the software, or else a lot more people would be having this problem.  It has to be something that isn't set up right in your network.
    D.W.
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 3:51 PM
  • No I did not switch brands. I went from a Netgear NWDR3500 to a Netgear NWDR3700. The wireless went bad in the previous router. The servers remote access set up easily and the server configured the router automatically. I have connected the laptop to the wired network, turned off all Firewalls, and attempted installation once again and, once again installation of the Connector software has failed.

Dave
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 4:18 PM
  • Well, I wish I had the answer for you Dave, but i'm all out of thoughts.  Like with most computer problems though, i'm sure it's something simple that you are overlooking.  I know i've done that hundreds of times.  Good luck.
    D.W.
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 4:26 PM
  • No I did not switch brands. I went from a Netgear NWDR3500 to a Netgear NWDR3700. The wireless went bad in the previous router. The servers remote access set up easily and the server configured the router automatically. I have connected the laptop to the wired network, turned off all Firewalls, and attempted installation once again and, once again installation of the Connector software has failed.
    ==========
    Dave, did you upgrade the firmware in the router? Even though it's a newer model than the old, there could have been a firmware upgrade from Netgear, even after releasing to market.

Sadly, router companies (nor many other hardware vendors) don't advise their customers when they release new software for their products. They don't do 'recalls' like the auto companies do. :(

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:35 PM
  • I'm also experiencing the same problem with my laptop will not install the connector and recieves the same error message, but my desk top had no problems intalling the connector. Both machines are using windows 7 ultimate. All the machines are set for the same time zones. Very Frustrating!!!

==========
    I just set up my Asus Aspire D255 Netbook with no problems at all.

There is possibly one difference between your and Dave's laptops and mine: My Netbook came with Windows Starter installed on it. I flattened the Netbook and installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. That may or may not give you and Dave a clue.

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:00 PM

=======

One more thing, Dave. I just connected my Acer Aspire D255 to my server, and things went as they should. The only possible difference is that the Acer came with Windows 7 Starter and I flattened it and installed Windows 7 Ultimate. There could be a difference in the installations, since my install would differ widely from your laptop's manufacturer.

Just a thought, and if you've done the same as I, forget I said anything. :)

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:03 PM
  • >>I just set up my Asus Aspire D255 Netbook with no problems at all.
    =========
    Whoops! That's an Acer, not an Asus!

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Thanks Nancy. I had previously (several months ago) upgraded the os from Win7 Home Premium to Win7 Pro. This same laptop has been connected to VAIL running on the same server platform previously. It also connects flawlessly to the WHS V1 platform. I'm scratching my head on this one.

Dave
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:31 PM
  • I am experiencing the same problem with the RTM version of WHS 2011.  I did the regedit fix and still get the same result.

I can connect an xp netbook but I cannot connect two win7 ultimate 64bit desktops. :-(

Friday, April 8, 2011 3:51 PM
  • I am experiencing the same problem with the RTM version of WHS 2011.  I did the regedit fix and still get the same result.

I can connect an xp netbook but I cannot connect two win7 ultimate 64bit desktops. :-(

Try the ip address.  For example,  192.168.7.24/connect.

D.W.
    Saturday, April 9, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Hi - I have had this very frustrating problem for four days - I finally solved it by regedit and removing all references to Windows Media Player - I tried this because I noticed media player was being seen as a server with its own ip address on my network. (two laptops one Win 7 home the other professional and a desktop win 7 home plus WHS 2011). I don't think its connected with 64 bit.

trust this helps.

Regards

Mike

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:32 AM
  • Make sure your computers have the following folders deleted after having uninstalled the previous client.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server

C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 6:27 PM