Installation problem - "This computer cannot connect to your home server" RRS feed

• Question

• I've just bought a server appliance from Tranquil PC. I've connected it to my router and tried to install the WHS software from a locally attached PC. The install seemed to go okay but when I tried to login to the server console it wouldn't let me, ie "This computer cannot connect to your home server... etc, etc.". Unfortunately I gave the WHS the same name as my network workgroup name; and, the software doesn't seem to like hte fact that this PC (and I checked this on another PC as well) has a username and password.

I've also uninstalled the software a number of times and tried to reinstall; however, on reinstallation it always seems to remember my original password and so I don't get a lot of the installation options that I originally had, i.e. to change the server name, etc.

Any ideas to get around this problem please?

Thanks.
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:54 PM

All replies

• I've just bought a server appliance from Tranquil PC. I've connected it to my router and tried to install the WHS software from a locally attached PC. The install seemed to go okay but when I tried to login to the server console it wouldn't let me, ie "This computer cannot connect to your home server... etc, etc.". Unfortunately I gave the WHS the same name as my network workgroup name; and, the software doesn't seem to like hte fact that this PC (and I checked this on another PC as well) has a username and password.

I've also uninstalled the software a number of times and tried to reinstall; however, on reinstallation it always seems to remember my original password and so I don't get a lot of the installation options that I originally had, i.e. to change the server name, etc.

Any ideas to get around this problem please?

Thanks.

If you want to "start over" (get the original set up screens again), you need to do a Factory Reset (or whatever the Tranquil PC equivalent is).  NOTE:  This will format all drives so you will lose everything on your server (if there is any data there).

Having said that, it sounds more like a name resolution problem.  Can you successfully ping your server, both by name and by IP address?
    Friday, September 4, 2009 4:21 AM
  • Please post the output of
    ipconfig /all
    on the client to validate the name resolution settings.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:37 AM
  • Hi Olaf/Kariya21

I tried to run ipconfig /all but a pop-up flashes up for a second and then dissappears. What am I doing wrong?
    Friday, September 4, 2009 3:20 PM
  • Oh yes,
    open a Command Prompt first and type the command there.
    For marking the results click the system menu in the title bar, select Edit/Mark, mark with the mouse, hit Enter and paste the clipboard here.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, September 4, 2009 10:15 PM
  • Hi Olaf/Kariya21

I tried to run ipconfig /all but a pop-up flashes up for a second and then dissappears. What am I doing wrong?

start/run/cmd then enter ipconfig
    Then what Olaf said.
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 11:46 AM